TAIWAN VISA: How to Apply for a Tourist Visa 2020 (for Filipinos)

TAIWAN VISA: How to Apply for a Tourist Visa 2020 (for Filipinos)

NOTICE: Your health and safety come first. Please adhere to the WHO recommendations and avoid any non-essential travel at this time. If travel is unavoidable for you, then you can check the Flatten the Curve website for information on global travel restrictions.
DISCLOSURE: Some of our articles contain affiliate links. The ones that do will have a disclosure statement at the bottom. You can refer to our privacy policy and terms of use for more information.

IMPORTANT UPDATE (26 July 2020): Great news! Taiwan has extended its visa-free program for Filipinos till 31 July 2021. You can check the TECO website for confirmation.

The only valid information on this page is the segment about the VISA-FREE PROGRAM. Everything else is suspended for the duration of the visa-free trial program. Check out our Taipei travel guide to help you plan your trip to Taiwan.



Philippine passport holders are eligible for visa-free entry for stays of up to fourteen (14) days, provided the following conditions are met. The visa-free program has been extended till 31 July 2021.

  1. The applicant’s passport is valid for at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant has an onward/return air/ferry ticket and a visa for that destination (if required).
  3. The applicant can provide proof of accommodation (or host/sponsor’s contact information or arrangements of tour, travel, visit, events and meeting etc.) in Taiwan.
  4. A completed arrival card which may be obtained from the airlines or cruise ship company.

Please be advised that applicants may be denied entry to Taiwan if they have a criminal record, have overstayed in Taiwan on a previous trip, or cannot prove sufficient funds to support themselves while in Taiwan. Click on the link for more information on visa-free treatment for Philippine passport holders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: As advised, any information below this notice is NOT valid while the visa-free program is in effect. The program will be reevaluated after 31 July 2021 so I’ll be sure to update this page when TECO makes an announcement.



Philippine passport holders may be eligible for the visa-free travel certificate if the following conditions are met:

  1. The applicant’s passport is valid for at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant has an onward/return air/ferry ticket.
  3. The applicant has never been employed as a blue-collar worker in Taiwan.


In addition, one of the following conditions must also be met:

  1. You must possess one of these documents issued by the US, CANADA, the UK, JAPAN, KOREA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, and/or any of the SCHENGEN countries:
    • Valid resident or permanent resident card
    • Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
    • Visa or resident card that has expired less than ten (10) years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan
  2. The applicant possesses a Taiwan visa or resident card issued over the last 10 years and has no immigration irregularities or violations in Taiwan. However, Taiwan visa holders with a remark of “FL” (foreign labor) or “X” (others) and resident cards with the purpose of “Foreign Labor” are not eligible for the travel certificate.

If you meet these requirements, then you can go to their website and fill up the travel authorization certificate form. When done, just print out the certificate and you’re good to go. Applying for the travel certificate is FREE of charge and the whole process takes about 5-10 minutes.

The travel certificate is valid for ninety (90) days and good for multiple entries within those ninety (90) days. You’ll have thirty (30) days of stay starting from the day after your arrival in Taiwan. Be sure to bring the documents listed above along with your travel certificate when entering Taiwan. They won’t let you through without it. You can check out the TECO website for more information regarding the visa-free travel certificate to Taiwan.


If you’re not eligible for visa-free entry, then you can apply for an e-visa online. You don’t have to physically go to TECO anymore. It costs TWD 1,632 to apply for an e-visa and it takes three (3) working days to process. If approved, e-visas are valid for three (3) months from the date of issue and allow you a stay of up to thirty (30) days. This new e-visa policy will be on trial basis for one (1) year. You can check this link for frequently asked questions about the Taiwan e-visa.

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)


If you aren’t eligible for visa-free entry or don’t want to apply for an e-visa, then you can apply for a tourist visa through the TECO office.


Here are the basic documents you’ll need to file your application. Please be advised that all documents submitted should be original and with one (1) photocopy.

  1. Valid Philippine passport. Must have at least 6 months remaining validity. Any old passports showing previous travels can be submitted as well.
  2. A completed visa application form. Go to their website to fill out the visa application form and print it out. Once you’ve printed the form and signed the last page, you can submit this together with all other requirements to TECO. More details in STEP 2.

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

  1. Two (2) 1.5″ x 2″ passport photos against a white background taken within the last three (3) months. Sign the backs of both photos and paste one of them on the form. Put the other one in clear plastic and attach it to the form.
  2. PSA-issued birth certificate
  3. PSA-issued marriage certificate. Obviously, this only applies to married applicants. Single applicants can ignore this.
  4. Certificate of Employment
  5. Evidence of enrollment at school/college for minors (under 18) or students
  6. Financial statements (Bank Book or Bank Statements reflecting at least 6 months of transactions)

Applicants over 60 years old who are visiting Taiwan for tourism need not submit documents 6 and 7 above. Also, please note that the requirements for applicants looking to visit relatives in Taiwan are different. You can follow this link for a list of requirements for visas to visit relatives in Taiwan.

If you’ll be traveling on BUSINESS, then you’ll also need to submit the following:

  1. Certificate of business name registration and SEC registration(if company owner)
  2. Certificate of Employment (if employed)
  3. Invitation letter from Taiwanese company/organization in Chinese letterhead clearly outlining purpose of visit and duration of stay
  4. Request letters from applicant’s company


You can now submit your application and documents to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office. Filing of applications can be done from Monday-Friday, 8:45-11:45AM. Their office is located on the 41st floor of Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati. As of 13 May 2017, visa processing fees are as follows:

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

After submitting your documents and paying, you’ll be given a receipt which you (or a representative) will need to present after three (3) working days to claim your passport. If you have it expedited, then you can get it in one (1) working day. Releasing times are from Monday-Friday, 1:45-4:45PM.

According to TECO, the visa’s validity, number of entries, and duration of stay will be determined by the applicant’s purpose of visit.


When will the visa-free program begin?
The visa-free program will begin on 1 November 2017 and will be on a 9-month trial period until 31 July 2018. It will allow you a stay of up to fourteen (14) days.

What’s the difference between the visa-free program and the visa-free travel certificate?
The visa-free program allows ALL Philippine passport holders to enter Taiwan visa-free regardless of previous travel experience. This is different from the visa-free travel certificate which has been in existence for several years now. Only travelers who meet certain requirements are eligible for the visa-free travel certificate.

How much do I need to have in my bank account to be granted an e-visa or stamped tourist visa?
There’s no official amount. People have said at least PHP 50,000 but there’s no confirmation on this. People have mentioned that they’ve been approved with less. Some have been rejected with more. Your application is contingent on many factors so there’s no amount that can guarantee approval. As long as your application doesn’t raise any red flags and you have enough money to support yourself for the duration of your stay, then you should have a good chance of getting approved.

Do I need to have confirmed flight and hotel bookings?
No, you don’t. Confirmed flight and hotel bookings are not required. On the application form, you can just put down the contact details of the hotel you intend to stay at. It doesn’t have to be a finalized booking. You can always change after you’ve been granted a visa.

Is there an interview?
Not necessarily. You’ll only be asked in for an interview if they have questions about your application, but most people aren’t.

Do I have to go to Manila to apply?
Not anymore. With the implementation of the e-visa, you can now apply online. People outside of Manila used to course it through travel agencies but you don’t have to do that anymore.

I have a tourist visa to Korea that expired 3 years ago. Am I eligible for the visa-free travel certificate?
Yes, you are. As stated above, you’re eligible for visa-free entry if your tourist visa or resident card to the US, CANADA, the UK, JAPAN, KOREA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, and/or any of the SCHENGEN countries expired less than ten (10) years prior to your arrival in Taiwan.

I have a tourist visa to Japan that expired 5 years ago. Am I eligible for the visa-free travel certificate?
See above. 🙄

I have a tourist visa to Australia that expired 7 yea…
Ok, that’s enough questions for today. 😡

Taipei Economic & Cultural Office in the Philippines

41F, Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati
Tel: +632 887-6688
Website: roc-taiwan.org
Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:45AM-4:45PM
Filing: Mon-Fri, 8:45-11:45AM
Releasing: Mon-Fri, 1:45-4:45PM


I’m not an expert on Taiwan tourist visas. Like you, I’m just a traveler. I’ll try to help as much as I can but please understand that my knowledge is finite and limited to my experience only. Unless otherwise noted, all requirements listed above were valid at the time of my application. Please be sure to check the embassy’s WEBSITE for updates. If you need answers to any pressing issues, then it’s best that you call the embassy directly.

CLICK HERE for more on this website’s terms of use.

Found this article useful? Help us help other travelers by sharing it!

There are 305 comments for this article
  1. Janice at 1:38 pm

    I know it is stated that mode of payment is credit card — but I just wanted to check if you have an idea if it will accept a BPI prepaid card (Master Card) >> works as debit card

  2. Jerry at 9:40 am

    Hello. In the FAQs, about the expired visa years ago. The website says that you should have a VALID visa to these countries (Japan, Australia, Canada, etc.) If it’s single entry visa, and I have used it already, is it still VALID?? It got me confused. Because as far as I understand from other websites, the visa should be unused. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you can only use a USED single entry visa if you have a connecting flight on your travels. (for example, Manila->Japan->Taiwan->Manila. Otherwise, if you have two separate travels (1: Manila -> Japan ->Manila and 2: Manila -> Taiwan -> Manila) you cannot use it.

    But thank you in advance for the clarification. Need your reply on this THANK YOUUUUU 🙂

  3. JB Macatulad at 9:49 am

    Hi Jerry, it used to be that you needed a valid visa to qualify for the travel certificate. But not anymore. Now a tourist visa to any of those countries that’s less than 10 years expired is accepted as well. You can check THIS PAGE on the TECO website to confirm. Specifically:

    »In addition, the applicant must possess at least one of the following documents issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, any of the Schengen countries, the United Kingdom, or the United States:

    (1)Valid resident or permanent resident card
    (2)Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
    (3)Resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan

  4. rachelle at 10:53 am

    hi, ano po bang requirements kapag student ? pwede kayang ako na lang pumunta ng teco para iprocess ung visa ng dad at kuya ko ? 21 years old na din ako ..

  5. JB Macatulad at 12:44 pm

    Hi Rachelle, I think your parents have to provide their financial documents on your behalf but I don’t know what else. Their website doesn’t indicate what the requirements for students are so best to call TECO directly.

  6. Hearty at 4:55 pm

    ..just want to clarify..
    The entry-visa free is only for holders of visa from the countries specified.. so the first time traveler need to apply for a single-entry visa for Taiwan right? even if the travel will be held in the month of June?..

  7. JB Macatulad at 9:05 pm

    Hi Hearty, yes that’s correct. It looks like the visa exemption program will be pushed back a month or two so if you don’t qualify for the visa-free travel certificate, then you’ll need to apply for a tourist visa (e-visa or passport stamp).

  8. Maeza at 11:15 pm


    Just to clarify…

    i booked a flight on 2 week of september. huhuhu

    Thanks 🙂

  9. Stephanie at 4:54 am

    Can I put N/A in the following fields of the form:



  10. Stephanie at 5:42 am


    Few questions here:
    – will i have higher chances if i apply e-visa over tour visa (rationale: Korean visa has tied up with banks for their credit card promotions)
    – do i need to have a bank statement with ADB?


  11. JB Macatulad at 8:32 am

    Hi Maeza, September 2017 is the date they’re giving now but it hasn’t been confirmed yet. We’ll just have to wait and see. Until the visa exemption program starts, then you’ll still need a tourist visa.

  12. JB Macatulad at 8:32 am

    Yes you can Stephanie. Better to put N/A under things that don’t apply to you rather than leaving it blank. Not sure about the e-visa giving you better chances. I’d assume it’s the same. Their website doesn’t specify an ADB but if you can provide that, then better. In my experience, some banks provide ADB while others don’t. Hasn’t been a problem for me thus far.

  13. Tash at 1:01 pm


    Found your blog very helpful. Ive booked a flight going to Taiwan with my family thIs Nov. I am checking my options in case visa free will not push through this September. Would you know how can i apply my mom and my brother for visa app if they both dont have work or any bank account details? To the accept sponsorship?

  14. Jerry at 1:31 pm

    Hi po just wanted to ask i paid a aplication fee for a taiwan visa, but i just realized that i have a US visa and my friends told me that you don’t need to pay for it. is there anyway i could refund my fees?

  15. Russell at 3:34 pm

    Hi Sir,

    My concern kasi ako sa kapatid ko we have a family business nagwowork siya doon as employee pero wala siyang TIN. What i worried is the COE , ITR etc, which is sa mga nababasa kong blogs hinihingi yun as a requirements (sample is a freelancer na nabasa kong blogs.) . What we only have for her is a Passport , Banking Statement. Ano kaya pwedeng alternate documents para sa kanya?

    Although i heard a release statement from the gov. of taiwan that visa-free privilege will be moved this Sept. and syempre kelangan ko pa din maging ready just-incase na may pagbabago ulit. Hope you could help me for this concern Sir. Ty much..

  16. JB Macatulad at 3:40 pm

    Hi Tash, are you funding their trip? If so, then you’ll probably need to provide your financial documents on their behalf. Best to call TECO to be sure. Good luck! Hope the visa exemption program starts before then.

  17. JB Macatulad at 3:43 pm

    Hi Russell, since it’s a family business, can’t you provide a COE for him? The ITR isn’t required. You can check sa TECO website to confirm.

  18. JB Macatulad at 4:28 pm

    Hi Jerry, no sorry but I don’t think so. Their FAQs page seems to indicate that they don’t issue refunds under any circumstance. You may want to call TECO though to confirm.

  19. Ninsy at 7:37 pm

    Hi! Would that be okay if my Japan visa is in my old passport but it’s still valid? Am I still eligible for the visa-free entry? 🙂 Thank you!

  20. JB Macatulad at 8:59 pm

    Hi Ninsy, yes you are. My case was similar. I had my valid US visa in an older passport as well. Once you get the travel certificate and go to Taiwan, be sure to bring the old passport with Japan visa as well. They’ll ask to see it.

  21. mariane bayan at 10:54 pm

    hello good evening, magbabaka sakali lang po ako, itatanong ko lang po sana kung totoo po ba na hindi po nag aaprove ang teco pag late registered ang birth certificate ko?, nag aaply po sana ako for tourist visa.

  22. Gelliann Sapon at 10:33 am

    Hi. Can I provide Bank Certificate instead of Bank Statements?
    And do you have any ideas kung ano requirements for minor? I’ll be traveling with my 7year old daughter kasi.


  23. JB Macatulad at 11:36 am

    Sorry Mariane, but I have no idea. Please contact TECO directly. Very helpful naman sila.

  24. JB Macatulad at 11:40 am

    Hi Gelliann, you may want to call TECO to confirm but I think that’s fine. I usually submit bank certificates myself. Sorry, but their website doesn’t indicate the requirements for dependents so you’ll need to call TECO directly. Good luck.

  25. Chloe at 11:56 am

    Hello, I’m covered in the visa-free entry category since I have the requirements for these. Just a question, I’m scheduled to leave for Taiwan from Sept. 2 to 6, 2017. If that’s the case, when is the best time for me to get the Travel Authorization Certificate (TAC) form prior to my departure in Manila. How many days before I leave?

  26. Mia at 2:31 pm

    Hi Sir,

    Can I use my unused korean visa for my Travel Authorization Certificate (TAC) ?

  27. Maria at 3:06 pm

    Hi JB,
    I am fm Singapore & have a Philippino helper whom had travel with me to Australia (I applied for a Temporary work visa for her for the visit to Australia).
    Would u know if I can use this visa for a visa-free entry to Taiwan for her too? (Since it’s not a tourist visa).
    Thanks in advance! Your website is very useful!

  28. Ria Tan at 12:16 am

    Hello po,just want to ask lang po sana.. Nag expired npo ksi Philippines passport ng husband ko pero dahil dual passport po sya kumuha nlng po muna sya ng visa from Taiwan and he used his Taiwan passport para umuwi d2(PH). Then nag renew po sya Ph passport nya d2 sa pinas.The problem is di nya pinakita sa immigration n my Ph passport n sya ulit nung pabalik n sya ng Taiwan kasi inisip nya n nka Visa nman sya..Paano po kaya un? Ok po ba na gamitin nya ung Ph passport nya galing sya sa Taiwan? Thank you po in advance

  29. Mercy grace m.bautista at 12:56 pm

    Hi! Ask ko lng po plan ko mgtravel to taiwan in aug. To visit My husband he is currently working there. Is there additional requirements po ba?

  30. Cy Cap at 3:16 pm

    Hi. We are trying to apply via eVisa but we are asked to fill-up the ROC.
    We are not related to anyone to Taiwan. What shall we do?

  31. Ryan James at 12:22 am

    Hi sir JB. I have a question regarding TAC for expired visa. Covered ba lahat ng klase ng visa? Kasi I have an expired working visa(New Zealand), single entry and issued 02June2012, nag-expire 04Sept2012. Pasok ba ako sa no-visa entry ng Taiwan? Thank you.

  32. JB Macatulad at 8:16 am

    Hi Cy, you can put N/A for anything that doesn’t apply to you. For contact details in Taiwan, you can just put down the hotel you intend to stay at. It doesn’t have to be a confirmed booking. You can still change after you’re been granted a visa.

  33. JB Macatulad at 8:19 am

    Hi Ryan, working visas aren’t accepted. It has to be a tourist visa. From their website:

    “The visas in the aforementioned list of required documents do not include work permits.”

  34. Rhodora at 12:32 pm

    Hi i just book a flight just to visit and suprise my friend this july 2017 in taiwan. Imworking here in canada. Im a worker. Got a vacation and i want it in taiwan .ialready have,/ print travel certificate..i want to ask if theres gonna be a problem with my documents/visa that states worker ..not a resident?

  35. JB Macatulad at 8:29 am

    Hi Rhodora, what type of visa do you have to Canada? You’re coming a long way so best to contact TECO to be absolutely sure.

  36. Jenarisa Roaring at 11:00 pm

    I had an expired tourist visa from Korea and japan’ but I have entered Taiwan twice as an of and my last enter was 2014 as a tourist visa already’ am I qualify for visa exemption’ thanks

  37. JB Macatulad at 11:34 am

    Hi Jenarisa, I think you mistyped your comment. Did you mean to say you worked as an OFW in Taiwan? If so, then you may not be eligible for the travel certificate since their website states that “the applicant must never have been employed as a blue-collar worker in Taiwan” to be eligible. Please call TECO directly to confirm.

  38. Gem at 7:02 pm

    Hi! Im applying for my evisa right now. I put the right info for my date of arrival and date of departure using the calendar provided but when i process the visa, the final details ask for the year/month/date but the information i entered was shown month/date/year. I tried to re-enter the details again but it just shows up the same. Is this normal?

  39. JB Macatulad at 12:42 pm

    I’m sorry Gem but I don’t know. To be safe, please contact TECO directly and let them know about the issue.

  40. JDO at 12:51 am

    Hi JB,

    Want to ask if usual ATM or Payroll account can be used to get a bank statement? We booked today at niyaya ko mga friends ko, I am not sure if may personal bank accounts sila kaya nagtanong ako. Akala ko kasi free to every Pinoy na. May major requirements pala for Free Visa.

    Many Thanks!


  41. JB Macatulad at 7:58 am

    Hi JDO, not sure if they accept it for Taiwan visa applications but someone said they do for Korea visa applications. I think they may but best to confirm with TECO para sure. Good luck!

  42. John Vincent at 10:27 am

    We would like to book tickets for Taiwan Taipei dated Nov to Dec 2017. Do we need to apply for VISA? Or the travel exemption will be extended this year?

  43. JB Macatulad at 10:36 am

    Hi John Vincent, yes you may have to. TECO announced a tentative start date of September 2017 for the visa-exemption program but this is yet to be confirmed. Until they’ve made the formal announcement that the visa-exemption program is in effect, then you’ll still need to apply for a tourist visa (assuming you’re not eligible for the visa-free travel certificate). Hope that helps.

  44. ed at 2:51 pm

    God day… I just applied 2day thru e-visa using my debit card and they accepted it… I wil travel w/ my wife en 2 daughters… Your blogs help me so much… Hoping en pray dat we wil b aprvd… God bless

  45. JB Macatulad at 2:58 pm

    Hope you guys get approved too Ed! As long as you submitted all the requirements, then you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. Good luck and enjoy Taiwan! 🙂

  46. Jun D at 12:06 am

    I currently have an unexpired multiple entry tourist visa for the US. Do I qualify for visa-free entry?

  47. Mers at 6:01 pm


    I know you’re already tired of questions regarding expired visas but I hope you’ll still answer my question. I have a Schengen visa type D which expired last Feb 2013. Will this still qualify for a visa-free entry?


  48. JB Macatulad at 9:43 pm

    Sorry Mers, but I’m not sure about type D Schengen visas. Best to contact TECO directly.

  49. Steve Lynham at 1:09 am

    It seems the conditions for visiting a relative in Taiwan are tougher (especially paperwork from the relative) than for tourists … so does it not make sense just to apply for a Tourist visit?

  50. JB Macatulad at 8:07 am

    Hi Steve, yes it does look that way. It may be easier to apply as a tourist but I think transparency is key. You don’t anything biting you in the ass later on. Good luck.

  51. Johncel Francisco at 8:25 am

    Hi JB, I just wanna ask, ang pag aaply ba ng visa is thru appointment o pwedeng walk-in sa kanilang office? Hope this question will be entertain. Thank you and Godbless 🙂 🙂

  52. JB Macatulad at 10:17 am

    Hi Johncel, no you can just walk in and file your application anytime between 8:45 and 11:45AM, Monday-Friday. The earlier the better. Good luck!

  53. Niq at 3:55 pm

    Hi! I have an expired Japan visa issued last year, it’s single-entry only. Will I qualify for visa-free entry? Also, another visa that is found in my old passport. Looking forward to your response. Thank you

  54. JB Macatulad at 7:17 am

    Hi Niq, yes an expired tourist visa to Japan should qualify you for the travel certificate.

  55. Diana at 9:51 am

    Hi , im planning to take my kids there, but i do have an e-visa since last month. Should i apply for a separate e-visa for them or mine is enough? Or walk-in application should be done for kids applicant? Thanks

  56. Niq at 11:55 am

    Thank you Sir JB for entertaining my question and more power to your blog! Just want to make sure if a used single entry visa to Japan will suffice because I have a valid US visa but it is in my old passport 🙂 Hope Taiwan will push through with the visa-free entry for Filipinos by September.

  57. JB Macatulad at 7:26 pm

    Hi Diana, each person will need their own visa so yes, you should apply for e-visas for your children as well.

  58. JB Macatulad at 7:28 pm

    Hi Niq, I’d bring both. I had a valid US visa in an old passport as well when I went, so I just brought both passports with me. On the application for the travel certificate, I think you can only put down the details for one. I’d still bring both though. Segurista eh he he. Enjoy Taiwan!

  59. shane at 10:08 pm

    hello po.. kailan po kaya start ng visa free?Thank you in advance..

  60. Myrene Kate at 6:03 am

    Hi, i have USED single entry visa in Japan can i use that as a travel certificate?!

  61. JB Macatulad at 6:58 am

    Hi Mylene, please refer to the information above for travel certificate requirements.

  62. Myrene Kate at 10:42 am

    Saan po ba yung visa number ng japan?! And i will put PH po ba before na visa number… Thanks po

  63. Diana at 4:43 pm

    Hi sir Jb,

    1sttime ko po mag tour sa taiwan hingi ako sana ako tulong regarding po sa hotel reservation kc po may mtutuluyan namn ako doon.peo dko nilagay sa application ko na may friend ako doon. Need ba sa immigration ang hotel reservation I mean hanapan ba tlga ng hotel reservation kahit may round trip tiket?

    Secondly pede kaya mgpreserve ng hotel good for 14days tapos mtulog lang ng isang gabi tapos check out na?since ang hotel free cancelation naman po siya at wala nmn po hinihinging credit card. Slamat po sana mapansin questions ko! GODBLESS

  64. JB Macatulad at 6:10 pm

    Hi Diana, no hindi kailangan ang confirmed hotel reservations. You can make a booking sa booking.com. Karamihan ng listings doon pwede mo icancel without any penalties. Just make sure that the hotel you book with has free cancellation. Hope that helps and good luck!

  65. Diana at 9:00 pm

    Last question sir! What about pag mag fly na po hahanapan ba ng hotel reservation sa airport o sa immigration? O pede na ung roundtrip ticket lang xa?

    Any suggestions po sir ano dapat gawin?nalilito po kc ako o kabado lang dahil 1sttime ko at solo flight pa. Slamat po ulit

  66. JB Macatulad at 4:54 am

    Hi Diana, in our experience, no immigration officer has ever asked where we’ll be staying. They didn’t in Taiwan either.

  67. Jang at 4:02 pm

    Hi! This post is really helpful! We applied a visiting family visa last June 5 in TECO and waited for 3 days. Today, June 8, my Auntie went to TECO and she called me saying it’s APPROVED!!!!! our flight is on June 16, see you soon Taiwan! 🙂

  68. Jang at 10:17 am

    Question: how much is the international tax and terminal fee at NAIA terminal 3? also how much is the international tax and terminal fee at Taoyuan International Airport?

  69. JB Macatulad at 8:34 pm

    Hi Jang, the last trip we took was in April and it was still PHP 1,620. There are no terminal fees (or tax) from Taoyuan as far as I can remember.

  70. Dvyn at 9:39 am

    Hi! Went to Japan last Dec 2015 on a single entry visa for 15days, am i qualified to a visa free entry? thanks.

  71. Ivan at 12:28 pm

    Hi, bank statements and bank certificates are two different things, right?
    The one needed by TECO is bank statement, correct?

    Thank you in advance!

  72. Ivan at 12:31 pm

    Also, what are the documents needed when applying for an E-Visa given the scenario that they ask for additional docs? Thank you so much!

  73. JB Macatulad at 3:33 pm

    Hi Ivan, yes as far as I know bank certificates and bank statements are two different things. Their website specifies the latter. Sorry, not sure what those additional documents may be. It could a case to case basis depending on the purpose of your visit. I suggest calling TECO directly since time is a factor. Good luck.

  74. Aldrin at 10:29 am

    Nice blog! quick question, i have an active tourist visa for Australia, am I qualified, I’m sorry I’m not familiar if that will qualify as an entry visa.

    thank you in advance!

  75. Deedee at 9:25 am

    How about if expired japan visa is in your old passport. Is it still valid? Thank you so much in advance 🙂

  76. JB Macatulad at 7:43 pm

    Hi Deedee, as long as the visa is less than 10 years expired, then yes, it should qualify you for the travel certificate. Just be sure to bring that old passport with visa with you to Taiwan since they’ll ask to see it. Hope that helps and enjoy Taiwan. 🙂

  77. aileen at 9:04 am

    hi green card holder ako pero filipino passport do i still need a visa?

  78. JB Macatulad at 1:06 pm

    Hi Aileen, a green card is a permanent resident card so you’re eligible for the travel certificate. You can fill up the form by clicking on the link above under VISA-FREE ENTRY.

  79. aileen at 11:44 pm

    good day just one last question so all i have to do when i get there is show them the certificate of entry?, green card and passport?no visa needed?
    im planning to go there next week and this is gonna be the first time ill visit taiwan,
    thank you so much youre a big help

  80. JB Macatulad at 8:31 am

    Hi Aileen, yes that’s correct. The travel certificate is basically your visa. Be sure to bring that, your green card, and an onward/return ticket when you go to Taiwan. Have an awesome time!

  81. Almira ramos at 9:27 am

    Hi sir Jb, i have read your site and find it very helpful. Nag fill up ako last night ng general application for visa ko. I was confused dun sa part ngbdate of application na hiningi sakin. I wrote june 26 since thats the day i planned to file for the application. But at the end it says i have to submit a printed application form to ROC overseas mission by july 18,2017 tuesday. Does this mean i have to go there twice?

  82. JB Macatulad at 9:48 am

    Hi Almira, the date of application is just the date when you filled it out, ie today 19 June 2017. You have a month to file your application at TECO hence the submission deadline date. But you can file anytime within that month. You only have to file once. Hope that clarifies.

  83. micRONNutrients at 8:11 am

    The e-Visa application is really efficient! Mine got approved the day after I applied for one. Hope everything goes well when I get to Taiwan. Thank you for this site. Very helpful. 🙂

  84. Rach at 9:37 am

    Hi JB!

    I bought a round trip ticket to Taiwan-Manila since they have announced that Philippine passport holders are eligible for the free-visa entry starting June 1, 2017. However, it was for pushed back 1-2 months. My travel date is on September 29, 2017 and now I’m not sure if I’m going to apply for the e-visa or wait for further announcements. I want to make sure that I will be able to travel to Taiwan on Sept 29 but I also don’t want to spend money on applying for the e-visa just in case they have the final announcement on when they are going to implement the free-visa policy. What is your advise for my situation.

    Thank you!

  85. JB Macatulad at 9:44 am

    Hi Rach, personally, I’d apply for the e-visa because you never know when the visa-free program will actually be implemented. They gave a tentative start date of September 2017 but that’s not guaranteed. It’s still early anyway so you can wait for any developments. But kung wala pang formal announcements by around mid- to late August, then I’d think about applying for an e-visa na.

  86. Jang at 2:04 pm

    Hi JB,

    Super enjoy ang pagpunta namin sa Kaohsiung, Taiwan last June 16-21, and super bitin 🙁 I’m planning to go there again on Chinese New Year, February 2018. Question, if hindi pa din ini-approved ang visa-free sa Sept, mas madali na ba mag apply ng visa since nakapunta ka na sa Taiwan? same pa din ng requirements? Thanks.

  87. Miguel at 2:15 pm

    Hi! Avid reader here of your blog! I do have some questions with regards to the visa application. I’ve been to Taiwan last Jan. 2017 (I was issued with a single-entry travel visa). Me and my boyfriend are planning to go there on Dec. 2017. He’s still a student but he can finance his trip. First question is: am I eligible for visa-free travel? I’ve read that they can issue one if the applicant possesses a visa or resident card issued by R.O.C. (Taiwan) over the last 10 years and has had no evidence of past immigration irregularities or violations in Taiwan. Second question is: what are the requirements for his status? Thanks in advance! 🙂

  88. JB Macatulad at 6:16 pm

    Happy to hear that Jang! Thanks to Miguel’s comment, I just found out that previous travel to Taiwan may qualify you for the travel certificate:

    “The applicant possesses a visa or resident card issued by R.O.C. (Taiwan) over the last 10 years and has had no evidence of past immigration irregularities or violations in Taiwan. However, holders of the R.O.C. (Taiwan) visas bearing a remark of “FL” (foreign labor) or “X” (others) and resident cards with the purpose of “Foreign Labor” are not eligible for an ROC Travel Authorization Certificate.”

    This looks to be a recent update on their website so I’ll be sure to update this post as well.

  89. JB Macatulad at 6:24 pm

    Thanks for the support Miguel! Sorry, but qas far as I know, the TECO website makes no mention of student requirements. Best to contact them directly. They’re very helpful naman. You’re right about being eligible for visa-free travel. I just checked the TECO website and it says you’re qualified for the travel certificate if:

    “The applicant possesses a visa or resident card issued by R.O.C. (Taiwan) over the last 10 years and has had no evidence of past immigration irregularities or violations in Taiwan. However, holders of the R.O.C. (Taiwan) visas bearing a remark of “FL” (foreign labor) or “X” (others) and resident cards with the purpose of “Foreign Labor” are not eligible for an ROC Travel Authorization Certificate.”

    Thanks for letting me know. I think this is a recent update. I’ll be sure to update this post as well. 🙂

  90. Jeanette Payumo at 6:43 pm

    my son is prepping for an internship trip to Taiwan but with exam week looming he doesn’t have a lot of spare time to gather all docs needed for a visa….. u made my day when you mentioned the visa-free entry for holders of EXPIRED visas etc as long as less than 10 years etc…. otherwise, i would never even have considered looking it up… i would have gone straight to the GENERAL VISA APPLICATION page…… so THANK YOU!

  91. Almira at 10:26 am

    HI sir. I have a question again, my friend is a visa holder of a single entry in Barcelona. Is he qualified for a visa free entry. If so, can you give me an advice on what are the things he should accomplish such as travel certificate. Thank you very much.

  92. JB Macatulad at 2:27 pm

    Hi Almira, that means he has a Schengen visa? If so, then yes, he should be qualified for the travel certificate. Please refer to the VISA-FREE ENTRY section of this post for the requirements and application link.

  93. Donie Aragoza at 1:48 am

    Hi JB, how about for parents who do not have sources of income? Is there an option where we could declare them as dependents?

  94. Donie Aragoza at 1:50 am

    by the way our parents are 53 and 58

  95. JB Macatulad at 8:44 am

    Hi Donie, I’m sorry but the TECO website doesn’t get into specifics about that. I imagine though that retirees would indeed be treated as dependents. Please call TECO directly to be sure about the requirements. Best of luck.

  96. Christian at 10:49 pm

    Hello po sir I just want to ask lang po if ilang buwan ulit pede mag reapply ng visa kasi po last month ako ng apply kso po denied po xa peo sabi nmn doon after a month pede apply ulit gusto kulang po sana makacgurdo. Then sir ilan days po ba dpat ilagay for tourist visa kasi ung akin po kasi nailagay ko 15 days at un din nilagay sa reason why I demied kc mxado dw mahaba ung duration ng stay. Slamat po sir mapansin nio ang message ko. Gusto ko po tlga mkpunta ng taiwan. Slamat po

  97. JB Macatulad at 6:51 pm

    Hi Christian, sorry but I’m not sure when you can reapply again. I think it might be after 6 months but please call TECO directly to be sure. Once granted, a tourist visa allows you to stay for up to 30 days. They may have denied your application because the funds you presented may not have been enough to support yourself for 15 days. That’s sometimes the case with rejected applications. You need to prove to them that you have enough funds to support yourself for the duration of your stay. Hope that helps and good luck when you reapply.

  98. ann at 7:47 pm

    Hi! I don’t have a credit card and I need to apply for a visa, is it possible to use my PayMaya account?

  99. JB Macatulad at 8:10 am

    Hi Ann, no you can only pay online by credit card. But you can ask someone to pay on your behalf using their credit card. CLICK HERE for TECO’s response to payments.

  100. Janine at 8:04 pm

    Hi JB! I have a US Visa which is a J1 visa type, is it eligible for visa-free entry kahit kakaexpire lang nung June 7, 2017? I was planning to visit Taiwan for my birthday 🙂

  101. JB Macatulad at 7:09 am

    Hi Janine, sorry but I’m not sure about a J1 visa. Best to inquire with TECO directly.

  102. EMY at 5:26 pm

    Hi. Is there any other way for name correction for visa? My application has been approved but there’s a problem with the spelling. Should I apply for a new visa?

  103. JB Macatulad at 9:34 pm

    Hi Emy, are you referring to the visa-free travel certificate? If so, then you can just apply for a new one by filling out the form again. A similar thing happened to me.

  104. EMY at 10:37 am

    No Sir. Im referring to Evisa which I paid P2000+. Do i need to apply and pay again?

  105. JB Macatulad at 11:26 am

    Hi Emy, I’m sorry but it looks like you’ll need to apply and pay again. You can check their FAQs for confirmation.

  106. Kat at 1:22 pm

    Hi JB, I am currently unemployed and obviously I cannot provide the COE. Does it mean I am not eligible to have a tourist visa for Taiwan? Thanks and more power.

  107. JB Macatulad at 9:16 pm

    Hi Kat, I’m sorry but yes, that might be the case for now. It’s important to have a job so you can prove to the embassy that you’ll be returning to the Philippines. They will be implementing the visa exemption program soon though so you may just want to wait for that.

  108. Zsarina Marquez at 9:22 pm

    hi JB! ask ko lang po if VISA FREE pa rin ba ako since my US Visa expired last 2011. But then i was single that time. And now I am married do they still honor or accept my expired US Visa?

    And is it okay mag travel kahit hindi mismo sa Taipei ang tour namin?


  109. JB Macatulad at 1:14 pm

    Hi Zsarina, it should qualify you though I’m not sure about the marital status issue. You’re worried about the last name being different? Best to call directly to inquire. They’re very helpful naman. And yes, you can go anywhere in Taiwan. Enjoy!

  110. Kat at 1:58 pm

    Hi again JB! How about if I try to apply for a Korean visa. Knowing that I am unemployed nowadays. Do you have any idea if I am still ineligible? Thanks again.

  111. JB Macatulad at 2:44 pm

    Hi Kat, you can still apply. Just understand that your chances of getting approved may not be as good since you’re not employed right now. The application is free anyway and you have 6 months to reapply should your application be denied. Hope that helps and good luck!

  112. Mhai Torres at 11:26 am

    Hello Sir JB. tanong ko lang sana, diba magkaiba requirements and procedures ng evisa at tourist visa, if ever ba nag-apply ako for evisa peru hindi na approve pwede pa ba ako mag apply ng tourist visa nalang? thanks in advance.

  113. JB Macatulad at 9:25 pm

    Hi Mhai, you may want to confirm with TECO but I think they’re the same. The evisa is basically just an electronic version of the stamped visa so a denial will be in your record either way.

  114. JB Macatulad at 1:59 am

    Hi Maricar, no one really knows for sure but people have speculated at least 50k. The more the better. Good luck!

  115. jasmine at 3:18 pm

    Hello! i would just like to know, i have expired visas from korea and japan for less than 10 years but they were in my expired passport which i just renewed recently. Can i still use them to apply for the taiwan visa? Thanks a lot!

  116. Kat at 11:36 am

    Thank you so much JB! You’re such a blessing! Continue helping people like us. God bless you! Until next time.

  117. JB Macatulad at 2:07 pm

    Hi Jasmine, yes you should be eligible for the travel certificate. I had my US visa in an old expired passport too so I brought it with me. Be sure to bring the old passport with visa with you since they’ll ask to see it.

  118. ana at 12:33 pm

    hi I’m a holder of single entry visa to korea, am I qualified for a visa free entry to Taiwan?

  119. Clarence at 11:59 pm

    Hi. I’m employed but I don’t have any savings account/bank book. Will they accept my application even though I cannot provide a bank statement? I can provide the rest, including COE and ITR, but not the bank statement 🙁

  120. Russell at 11:05 am


    Is the E-Visa alternative for the Standard Regular Visa that we are applying for? from what i read , if you apply for e-visa you don’t need the ff. details (financial docu, bank docu, employed docu). What i’m concerned is, is it guaranteed 100% that taiwan will allow you to travel?

    Mukang malabo ang sept. sa pag approve ng free visa. 🙁

  121. JB Macatulad at 12:54 pm

    Hi Clarence, the bank statement is a requirement so failing to provide it may hurt your chances of getting approved.

  122. Myra Manalo at 9:26 am

    Good day…I’m a government employee. I applied for a Japan visa using my official passport and I was granted Japan visa during my travel in 2015. Now, I will be traveling in Taiwan with my family and I’ll be using my regular passport. Do I still need to apply for a visa since I will be using my regular passport or can I use the Japan visa granted to me using my official passport?
    Please enlighten. Thank you.

  123. JB Macatulad at 10:13 am

    Hi Myra, I’m sorry but I don’t know what their policy is regarding visas between passports so it’s best that you contact TECO directly. They’re very helpful naman. Good luck.

  124. Issa at 2:34 pm

    Hello, i’m going to Taiwan for 4 days trip ngayong semestral break kasama po anak ko. Ask ko lng po kung anong requirements pra pag apply ng visa nya? He is 17 years old po at kasalukuyang nag-aaral. Thanks ng marami.

  125. JB Macatulad at 6:48 pm

    Hi Issa, sorry but the TECO website doesn’t provide information for dependents. I think you’ll probably have to provide your financial documents on his behalf. Please call TECO directly to be sure.

  126. JB Macatulad at 8:02 am

    Sorry Maricar, their website doesn’t specify so I don’t know either. Best to call TECO directly to be sure.

  127. Maricar at 10:58 pm

    Thank you. your blog has really helpful.

  128. yhanna T. Song at 9:53 am

    hello.. if your visa not granted you need to pay also?

  129. maricar at 11:01 am

    I called up TECO, Bank statements should reflect at 6 months transaction, FYI

  130. Ronnie Jo at 11:25 am

    Hey JB, just to clarify if I already have a visa that was issued last Nov 2016 I would no longer need to apply for a visa right? all I have to do is get the travel authorization certificate form even if the visa is expired?

  131. Roana May at 2:09 pm

    Hi po. query lang. nagkamali kasi ako sa pag-fill up ng application form, instead ng sept 27 ung date ng issuance ng passport, sept 21 ung nailagay ko sa form. approved na ung evisa ko. and wala naman sa evisa ung details ng passport date of issuance and expiry. kailangan ko p po ba mag-apply ulit, or ok na since if printed naman ang evisa hindi na nila ma-ccheck. thanks sa reply

  132. Jhon at 4:07 pm


    Is it possible to issue a visa online without visiting Manila?


    Is it possible to apply in Hong Kong or Macau?

  133. JB Macatulad at 7:54 pm

    Hi Roana, I’m not sure. Personally, I would still fill it up again to be safe. You never know what might happen and you don’t want to be stuck with any issues once you get there.

  134. JB Macatulad at 7:56 pm

    Yes Jhon, that should be fine. My sister filled up the online application from China and it was ok.

  135. Mikee at 9:54 am

    Hi, I dont have any visa from any other country, This is my first time to travel abroad. and i decided to go Taiwan. Is there any other way to get Taiwan Visa? pls help. Big thanks!

  136. Ryan at 10:48 am

    I have been reading through the article and i only saw something that said something about having a “Tourist visa” for visa-free entry to

    taiwan. How about if you have a permanent resident card for the US? Does that also qualify for a visa free entry to taiwan? Thank you in


  137. JB Macatulad at 9:25 am

    Hi Mikee, there’s always a chance. As long as you can provide all the requirements and don’t raise any red flags, then you should have a good chance of getting approved regardless of your previous travel experience. Good luck!

  138. Mylene Bacani at 4:24 pm

    Hi JB,

    Is it okay if I travel with my husband but he is a self employed, the reason of our travel is its our wedding anniversary, May question is this, he doesn’t have any Certificate of Employment and Bank Account but we
    have enough money to support ourselves during the whole duration of our stay. Do you think he can get a visa? Please advise. Thanks

  139. JB Macatulad at 8:52 pm

    Hi Mylene, the TECO website doesn’t get into specifics for self-employed applicants but I think your husband will need to submit his ITR and/or a Certificate of Business Name Registration and SEC Registration. Best to call TECO to be sure. But can you apply for an eVisa instead of a stamped visa? I think it may be easier.

  140. Liza at 5:51 pm

    Hi JB, Do we need to apply for a visa if our schedule travel is on September?

  141. JB Macatulad at 8:51 am

    Hi Liza, yes you do. September is just the tentative date for visa-free entry so until they’ve made an official announcement that they have indeed implemented the program, then Philippine passport holders will still need to get a tourist visa.

  142. Maricar at 1:10 pm

    In case i forgot to fill out one of the mandatory details, in particular the former or other nationality, should i submit another visa application form?

  143. Rhob at 7:38 pm

    Hi I just want to know since I am a OFW here in Dubai and planning to settle for good this coming December 2017 and planning to apply for the tourist visa in Taiwan is it possible for me to get approved? since I just came from abroad and doesn’t have job so far to justify my financial capability (though some savings to spend)?

  144. JB Macatulad at 6:41 pm

    Hi Rhob, it may best for you to apply from there. Have you tried calling your local TECO to see what the requirements are?

  145. Lou Vinia Javines at 9:20 pm

    I have a couple of questions:
    1. I’ve read in other accounts that an applicant would need a credit card for the e-visa. I am yet to acquire one, would it be acceptable if I ride on a friend’s or relative’s? And can two people ride on the same credit card?
    2. Would they accept the ITR in the stead of a bank book or bank statement? If not, and I don’t have any, do I have an alternative document I can provide?

  146. Annie Lee at 8:24 am


    Good day. I did try to fill out the evisa form and was not able to proceed because it was asking about details about my contact in taiwan (family, friend, company or school)

    Is it ok if I will leave it blank? Or should I put n/a?

    Thank you in advance. 🙂

  147. JB Macatulad at 11:28 am

    Hi Lou, regarding the credit card, yes you can. You can refer to the e-visa FAQs for confirmation. Sorry, not sure about the ITR. Best to call TECO directly for that one.

  148. Kim at 12:27 pm

    Hi! I have an expired Japan student visa. Is it a valid type of visa to get free Taiwan visa or Travel Authorization Certificate? Or only tourist visa qualifies for that? Thank you!

  149. tala. [email protected] at 6:32 pm

    Hi, I just want to asked something regarding of my visa before, anyway, i had tourism visa before for taiwan, which is expired already together with my old passport. But, few years ago i change my last name so i would have middle name in my name. Because before i don’t have any middle, which i use my mother surename. But, now i have middle name because i applied my father last name which is granted to the court and to the National Static Office (NSO) my main question is if i got a passport and in my new passport was change my last name to De Leon then in my old visa i used my mother last name, do you think is it possible to enter taiwan for free visa even if i change my last name only.? Or should i need to apply new visa or just bring the old passport together the finality of court decision papers so there is proof to show just in case.? Which one do you think it will work and what is the requirements to be submitted if i happened to have tourism visa before which is just year 2012. And I receive my court finality last 2015. I hope to get any feedback or suggestion to my inquiries. Thank you in advance.

  150. Dannica at 1:51 pm

    HI! Any idea what should I do? I will be traveling to Taiwan this coming October with my uncle, his wife and his son I will be joining them since he paid for my ticket and he will be the one who will pay for my expenses. I’m a fresh graduate though. I don’t have enough in Bank since I just got employed 3 months ago. I am worried what visa I will apply.

  151. JB Macatulad at 5:37 pm

    Hi Kim, I think you need to have a tourist visa or resident card to qualify for the travel certificate. Best to call TECO to confirm.

  152. JB Macatulad at 5:39 pm

    Hi Dannica, I think you’ll need to apply ad a dependent. The TECO website doesn’t specify what the requirements for students/dependents are so please call TECO to inquire.

  153. JB Macatulad at 3:23 pm

    Hi Jennifer, they’re basically the same thing. One is a traditional visa stamp on your passport while the other is an electronic visa. You only need one or the other.

  154. JB Macatulad at 2:53 pm

    Hi Jennifer, I haven’t applied for the E-visa but I believe you should be taken to payment options after filling out the form. According to their FAQs, only credit card payments are accepted.

  155. Jenny at 11:27 am

    Hi! I was issued a Schengen Visa in 2014, however, my passport was stolen last year. but I have secured a scanned copy of my Schengen visa. Am I still eligible to get the Travel Authorization Certificate?

  156. MARTY at 9:23 pm

    Is it possible that a Filipina working permanently in Hong kong as a domestic helper (OFW) can apply for a visa to travel to Taiwan for a vacation?

  157. JB Macatulad at 8:15 am

    Hi Marty, I don’t see why not. As long as she can provide all the required documents then she should have a good chance of getting approved. It may be best to apply from Hong Kong though as her requirements may be different.

  158. Jam at 9:30 pm

    Hello! Good day! I’d just like to ask if by September, Taiwan will be visa free, what papers should I bring then? Aside from my passport, roundtrip tickets… Do I need to get some certificate or something? Thank you! 🙂

  159. Fran david at 10:29 pm

    hi jb, i have an AU visa but sub class is business visitor. i dont have a business rather the purpose of my visit in AU was due to company activity. u think that’s fine?

  160. JB Macatulad at 1:13 pm

    Hi Jam, I personally don’t think Taiwan will start its visa-free program by September. Until they make a formal announcement on their website, then it’s best to assume that you’ll need a visa.

  161. JB Macatulad at 1:16 pm

    Hi Fran, tourist and business visas are similar I think but I’m not 100% sure if a business visa will qualify you for visa-free entry. Best to call TECO to be sure.

  162. Ronnie Jo at 6:47 pm

    Hey I tried applying for travel certification but it says that I should apply for a visa? I already have a visa applied last year which should still make me eligible for the travel certificate. Would you know why this is? 🙁 Thanks!

  163. JB Macatulad at 7:49 am

    Hi Maricar, I’m not sure if the type of visa he had qualifies him for the travel certificate. Best to call TECO to confirm.

  164. Crystal Jan at 6:39 am

    Hi JB, i would like to inquire if applying on evisa do I still need to pass the said requirements? thank you

  165. JB Macatulad at 11:05 am

    Hi Crystal, I’m sorry but I haven’t tried applying for an e-visa so I don’t know. Try going through the application though. You’ll probably see what the requirements are.

  166. Irish at 4:38 pm

    Hi. I’m planning to travel to Taiwan next month. Oct 16 – Oct 20. I’m currently in UAE and unfortunately the website of TECO is blocked so I can’t open the link that you’ve mentioned in this article. I’ll apply visa in Philippines what’s the first thing I need to do? Thanks in advance.

  167. JB Macatulad at 1:00 pm

    Hi Irish, regardless of which type of tourist visa you apply for, you’ll need to fill up an application form on the TECO website. You’ll need access to the TECO website otherwise you can’t proceed. FYI.

  168. Jp at 5:49 pm

    Hi, ilan days po bago ma release yung travel certificate and e-visa?

  169. Irish Joy at 12:20 am

    Hello I booked myself a roundtrip ticket travel to Taiwan…because I just wanted to visit and have a tour with my filipino friends working in Taiwan,I thought before that no visa needed thats why I booked a flight and suddenly got suprised when I heard and read that the visa exemption program cancelled, whats step should I do first now?

  170. Angel at 2:31 pm


    I have an expired visa for Korea (expired just last year) and I was wondering will that be eligible for FREE VISA Entry? I am planning to travel on the 8th – 13th of October and I wanted to make sure before I buy the ticket (around today or tomorrow) before I proceed. I know you’ve said something about it above, but I wanted to reconfirm just incase my understanding is wrong.

    Thank you in advance for the response.

  171. Bernard at 12:09 am

    True ba free visa na ang taiwan? Passport lng ba ang need? Thanks

  172. Ryan at 12:41 am


    I just need a 2nd thought

    “Resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan.”

    does it means, if i applied Taiwan Visa before (2 years ago), pasok ba dyan sa requirement na yan?

    Thank you

  173. Bone21 at 6:27 am

    Hello I wanted to ask if the VISA free for filipinos are now implemented? For those who doesn’t have VISA from other countries?

  174. JB Macatulad at 1:08 pm

    Hi Ryan, sorry but I don’t understand your question. If you had a visa to any of those countries mentioned, then yes, you’re eligible for the travel certificate.

  175. ethan gabriel are jr at 5:43 am

    I have us visa valid tell 2019..Possible to go Taiwan w/o Taiwan visa….?

  176. ellah at 3:35 am

    hi, regarding the situation miss irish, is she able to apply for the tourist visa in taiwan here in uae? i have same situation, im working here in abu dhabi and wanted to visit taiwan soon…

  177. Pam Javier at 11:43 pm

    Hi, my husband working in taiwan right now, and he want me to visit him this coming Christmas and New Year,, actually, this is my first time to travel abroad if ever,, The month of September will end after two weeks,, Is there a new announcement for the free visa??

  178. Edward at 7:24 am

    Hi JB. I read that the e-visa is on trial for a year starting October 2016. I have a travel come Nov-Dec 2017. Do you have any idea if the e-visa trial has been extended or could I apply now and would still be valid during my travel period to Taiwan? Thank you so much!

  179. Yzel at 2:23 pm

    I’ ve already travelled to taiwan last 2 3 years ago..if I’ ll be visiting taiwan again this december, will I be qualified for a travel certificate? Thankyou.

  180. JB Macatulad at 9:56 pm

    Hi Edward, yes I think the evisa is still being offered. You can click on the link in this post and fill out the form to confirm.

  181. ernest perry at 11:12 pm

    sir JB ask lang po what if po kung pang 2nd time na mag aaply ng tourist visa kasi last feb 18 to march 1 asa taiwan ako tourist po now gusto ko balik ulit this nov ano po requirement ang papasa ko same padin po ba sa dati?/salamat po

  182. JB Macatulad at 11:08 am

    Hi Ernest, that’s a good question but I don’t know. They don’t list Taiwan under their travel certificate requirements. Best to call TECO directly to be sure.

  183. Andrea at 6:43 pm

    Hi! for visa requirements, do i need to submit itinerary plan din ba? Thanks!

  184. Charlon Villamayor at 12:47 pm

    Sir Jb, ask lang po regarding sa appli form. Anu po ung ilalagay sa ID no.? and sa Mothers full name.. name po ba ni mama sa pagkadalaga o ung ngayong gamit nya na pangalan na? Salamat po

  185. JB Macatulad at 2:57 pm

    Hi Charlon, sa ID number I’d put any government-issued ID aside from your passport, like a driver’s license. Sa Mother’s Full Name, hindi nakaspecify but yes, I’d assume maiden name ang hinihingi. You may want to call TECO to be sure.

  186. jojo at 10:21 pm

    good evening, jb,

    do you have a sample of. Affidavit of Support, ? I will be using it for my wife’s visa application.

    Hope you can help me…


  187. Stephanie at 1:44 am


    I was wondering, what if say you have a Canadian visa (tourist or working visa) which has an expiry date less than 10 years BUT you did not used the visa at all. Meaning hindi mo sya inialis ng bansa for some reason. Do you think that still matches their condition for the eligibility for free visa entry?

  188. JB Macatulad at 11:25 am

    Sorry Jojo, but I don’t have one. Best to call TECO directly to confirm if they need it in a specific format.

  189. JB Macatulad at 11:26 am

    Hi Stephanie, that’s a good question. I know some embassies treat used and unused visas differently. Mas may weight yung used. Please contact TECO directly to be sure.

  190. Charmaine Joy Cupon at 6:53 am

    In the latest article regarding the visa free it say visa free to filipino from philippines was approved but why do we still need to apply visa through online before traveling? Sounds confusing. Can u explain. So what it is exactly?

  191. JB Macatulad at 8:27 am

    Hi Charmaine, it’s been approved but it hasn’t been implemented yet. Target for implementation is October but that’s a tentative date. They first said it would be implemented in June 2017, but we know how that went. Unless it’s been officially announced on the TECO WEBSITE, then it’s best to assume that you still need a visa. I’ll add a quick note to this post to let people know.

  192. Angel at 9:48 pm

    Hi sir jb,

    I hope you can answer me now i will be travelling to taiwan this sunday na and ill bring my 2 yr old daughter with me. Need rin ba nya ng visa sa online na lang din ba? Gaya ng kinuha ko e visa? Thanks po sana sumagot kayo kaagad

  193. JB Macatulad at 11:10 am

    Hi Angel, yes your daughter will need a tourist visa as well. The e-visa takes 3 business days to process so you need to apply asap.

  194. Mylene at 7:57 pm

    Hi JB!

    Thanks for this post.

    I now have an approved e-visa for Taiwan. I won’t be asked for any other documents like bank statements, ITR, or COE, will I? I only need this visa right?

    I’m actually anxious since this will be my first travel abroad. Thank you very much.

  195. JB Macatulad at 7:35 am

    Hi Mylene, nope you’re all set. Just your e-visa, passport, and onward/return ticket and you’re good. I always bring a printout of my hotel booking just in case but I’ve never been asked for it. Have fun in Taiwan!

  196. Belle tigas at 12:42 pm

    Hi Sir jb thanks sa info. So this visa free program we dont need to do anything nba? No need to fill up any from their website? Diretso na ng airport lang sobrang thanks. First time kasi

  197. Hakata at 4:16 pm

    Hi sir JB

    Thanks for this

    But I still confuse of that additional requirement,
    Because it’s my first to abroad, so I can’t accord with those conditional,
    Is that additional requirement must be necessary?
    The R.O.C. (Taiwan) Travel Authorization Certificate must have?

  198. hazel at 10:47 pm

    Im having UAE resident Visa now,and i already worked for 1 yr and 5 months in m, company,
    but i worked in taiwan for 3 yrs last 2016, im planning to travel on december because one my co-worker in taiwan
    will going to marry on December, am I entitled to travel to taiwan?

  199. Edz at 5:43 pm


    I’m Edz from Iloilo, Philippines. I know that Taiwan is now visa-free for Filipino tourists who are intending to stay up to 14 days.

    I will be travelling to Taiwan starting November 24 until November 28 early morning. I just wanted to ask if I need to get a Taiwan visa because besides for tourism purposes, I will also be taking the International English Language Speaking Test (IELTS) on Nov 25, one day only.

    Thank you. Hoping for your response.

  200. Edz at 5:48 pm

    I mean “International English language testing system” (ielts)

  201. JB Macatulad at 7:18 pm

    Hi Hakata, are you a Philippine passport holder? If you are, then you can now travel to Taiwan visa-free provided you meet the requirements listed above. No need for the Travel Authorization Certificate. Let me know if you need anything clarified.

  202. JB Macatulad at 7:38 pm

    Hi Hazel, it sounds like you are. As long as you meet the conditions listed above, then you should be eligible for visa-free travel.

  203. Cindy at 2:38 pm

    Hi. Can I confirm some info?

    1. As far as I know both Authorization Certificate and E-Visa are no longer available. So if we intend to stay in Taiwan for more than 14 days, we need to apply for a tourist visa physically in TECO. Is this correct?
    2. Can I apply my friend’s visa on her behalf? And can she receive the visa that I applied on my behalf?

    Thank you, this website helped me a lot before when I applied for my solo trip.

  204. JB Macatulad at 7:38 am

    Hi Cindy, that’s a good question which I’m wondering myself but I’m afraid I don’t know. Their website doesn’t seem to provide any information about staying longer than 14 days for tourism purposes. Best to contact the embassy directly. I believe you can apply on your friend’s behalf but you may want to confirm this with them as well.

  205. Ralf at 10:31 pm

    Hi, I know it might be a Dumb question but do I still need a complete hotel booking Accommodation even I do have a Visitors Visa?

  206. JB Macatulad at 11:27 pm

    Hi Ralf, you mean in regards to visa-free entry for Filipinos? According to the TECO website, proof of accommodations is required so yes, I think you need to show them some sort of hotel/AirBnB booking.

  207. Rex Luzano at 1:16 am

    Hi! I am Rex Luzano. I overlooked the visa-free validity date. I booked a travel trip for my staff to taiwan as tourist. This is an incentive trip or a company trip for my staff. I booked a trip September 9 to 13, 2018 which is not covered to the visa-free period. Meaning, my people needs to secure visa to go to taiwan but some of my staff couldnt secure financial statement. would the certificate of employment enough and other requirements enough to secure visa excluding financial statement? In case, would you allow bank record of payroll?

  208. JB Macatulad at 8:37 am

    Hi Rex, I’m sorry but I don’t know. As far as I know, TECO hasn’t announced what will happen after the visa-free trial period ends. Please call them directly.

  209. Karma at 6:46 pm

    Hi! My friend and I will be travelling to Taiwan next year. It’s going to be my third time outside the country but it’ll be her first time abroad. WHat are the chances that we’ll be rejected for a tourist visa? Im really anxious because we already booked the flights. And i overlooked the visa free expiration date. It’ll be our first time to apply for a visa. Thank you

  210. KARma at 6:49 pm

    Hello it’ll be my friend’s first time to travel abroad nxt year and it’s going to be to Taiwan. Is there a chance that she’ll be rejected? We forgot about the expiry date of the visa-free agreement kasi 🙁 thanks in advance

  211. JB Macatulad at 8:40 am

    Hi Karma, since your trip isn’t until next year, best to wait and see what TECO does once the visa-free trial period expires. If we’re lucky, then they may extend it. 🙂

  212. Gee at 10:59 am

    Hello! I have a Schengen entry / visitor visa which expired just this month – May 2018. I will travel to Taiwan August 2018. Visa free for me? Thanks.

  213. JB Macatulad at 10:08 pm

    Hi Gee, I’m not sure to be honest. As far as I know, TECO hasn’t made any announcements regarding their visa-free program after the trial period ends. Best to wait and see.

  214. Bunny Gloriane at 9:46 pm

    kaylangan pa po ba dumaan ng agency pag mag tour ng taiwan?

  215. Junjun at 1:27 pm

    Hello po. For visa-free entry until 2019, no need to apply na for any agency? Just head straight to immigration na and show the accommodation documents?

  216. JB Macatulad at 1:52 pm

    Hi Junjun, yes no need. Just proof of accommodation and an onward/return ticket. Have a great time in Taiwan.

  217. rocell at 10:30 pm

    Hello po.Nasa Leyte po ako can I apply through online for resident visa po yung e.visa ba yun?

  218. KIM at 10:46 pm

    Good day. I would like to ask if I have to obtain a certain visa in going to Taiwan as a tourist this coming March 29, 2019 good for 3 days only?

  219. JB & Renée Macatulad at 10:51 pm

    Hi KIM, Philippine passport holders can enter Taiwan without a visa till 31 July 2019. You can refer to the VISA-FREE PROGRAM section of this guide for more details.

  220. Jang at 1:39 pm

    Hi, question, what if you want to stay in Taiwan for 1- 2 months, need pa ba ng visa? or ROC Travel Certificate na lang? My Tita who lives in Taiwan wants my Lola to have a 1-2 months vacation there. My Lola went to Taiwan last June 2017, and she had an expired single entry Taiwan visa. Sana masagot nyo po inquiry ko. Thank you!

  221. JB & Renée Macatulad at 7:07 pm

    Hi Jang, you’ll definitely some type of visa since visa-free entry only allows you a maximum stay of 14 days. Please inquire directly with TECO.

  222. Danna at 4:20 pm

    Hi! Thanks for this! Do u have any idea if the free visa entry will be extended until Sept 2019?

  223. Ann at 3:41 pm

    Hi.. im planning of travelling to Taiwan with my 6 yr old daughter.. im with a US visa but my daughter doesnt have.. do i still need to apply tourist visa for her?

  224. Jz at 3:10 pm

    Hi..good day poh panu poh ako mkakuha ng e-visa 3 days staying in taiwan thank you poh .

  225. Lilet Gregorio at 1:31 am

    Good Day Sir! Do you think po mageextend pa sila ng visa free this july 2019? if not po, pano po makakakuha ng visa? under general visa po ba or e-visa magaapply?

  226. JB & Renée Macatulad at 3:03 am

    Hi Lilet, I’m not sure but my feeling is they’ll extend it. If not, then e-visa siguro. Best to monitor the TECO website for updates.

  227. sheena De leon at 11:36 pm

    Hello po nkapag pa book po ako ng 19 days papuntang taiwan hindi ko po nabasa n hangang 14 days lng sng pwede paano po yun sa 25 n po yun flight ko.. Kaso po sobra ng 5 days ano po gagwin ko plss po reply po

  228. JB & Renée Macatulad at 6:59 pm

    Hi Sheena, naku hindi ko alam. You might have to apply for a visa. Importante yan so I suggest contact TECO immediately and asking them what you should do. Mas maaadvise ka nila. Good luck.

  229. DK at 12:01 pm

    good day! ask ko lang po. last Jan 2018 galing ako Taiwan, and plannning po ulit ako na bumalik this April, ok lang ba yun sa free Visa or do i need to secure Visa? and also wala ba duration ng time na pwedeng bumalik? thanks.

  230. JB & Renée Macatulad at 8:38 am

    Hi DK, the visa-free travel program is until 31 July 2019 so you shouldn’t need a visa for stays of up to 14 days. Please refer to the requirements posted above.

  231. Dewanie at 7:06 pm

    Hi itatanong ko lang po sana kung ano gawin.Nagtatrabaho po ang husband ko sa taiwan for 2 years at nagplano kami na bisitahin namin siya ng anak namin.(8 years old)
    May bpi debit card po ako at may passport nadin kami nang anak ko.
    Ano po ba dapat gawin.

    Salamat po nang marami

  232. Clair at 3:39 pm

    Hi! I’m planning to treat my parents to Taiwan next year (2020). I already have a Japan visa so I’m eligible for visa free, yeah? But since I’ll be paying for the whole trip, and should we submit my bank documents alone instead or do we still have to submit my parents’?

  233. JB & Renée Macatulad at 3:19 am

    Hi Clair, not sure what the requirements and procedure will be after the visa-free program is over. They may extend it after 31 July so best to wait for an announcement from TECO.

  234. Leonore Lorenzana Tianco at 6:20 pm

    HI ,

    My daughter and I will travel to Taiwan this August 23-27 which is already past the last day of your Visa Free period. We were both issued a visa to Japan two years ago, though it is already expired.

    Do we need to apply for a Visa or just a Visa Free Travel Certificate? If it’s a Visa Free Certificate, how do we download the travel authorization certificate form. The form that is available in the site when clicked does not include Filipinos in the list. Thank you.

  235. JB & Renée Macatulad at 6:33 am

    Hi Leonore, I don’t know yet to be honest. Best to wait for a formal announcement from TECO after the visa-free program expires.

  236. Marcelle Alhambra Jimenez at 5:37 pm

    We already have hotel reservations and plane tickets going to taiwan this August. I just recently found out about the visa free would only be up to July. Should we apply for a visa then?
    And what would be best type of visa if we are required get a visa since it is just a five day seminar we have to attend to?

  237. JB & Renée Macatulad at 7:46 am

    Hi Marcelle, best to wait until TECO makes a formal announcement about the visa-free program. My guess is they might just extend it anyway like they did last year.

  238. KAMELA at 5:33 pm

    hi ! if ever na hindi na naextend ang visa free, yung mga nkalagay n details here for visa is still the same?

  239. Michelle at 7:50 am

    Hi pwede na po ba yung NSO birth certificate ?

  240. JB & Renée Macatulad at 9:01 am

    Hi Michelle, for what exactly? Taiwan’s visa-free program is in effect till 31 July 2019 for Philippine passport holders.

  241. Sarah at 3:41 pm

    When filling out the visa application form, fill in 4, but only two pairs are printed?

  242. Crystel Plarisan at 5:21 pm

    Hello can i ask if i apply visa going to tiawan how many working days to wait the visa?purpose is to working in taiwan?

  243. Analiza Miguel at 12:30 am

    Extended po ba free visa in taiwan for tour lang po dis august thankyou

  244. Maria at 3:37 pm

    Hi po, First time ko po magtatravel abroad, and nakapagbook na po ako ng ticket for taiwan this october, May I know po kung okay na taiwan ang first international travel ko?
    Thank You!

  245. Ladylie at 12:19 am

    Hi! Tanong ko lang po. Kailangan ko pa po bang makasecure ng Invitatiom letter to travel to Taiwan? I’m going to travel this October ng mag-isa. Actually, my boyfriend is working there and magkikita kami once I’ll be there. I’m currently employed sa Philippines and I have sufficient funds to finance my trip. I also habe hotel accomodation and booked a plane ticket pabalik ng Pinas. Do I need to have rhat document?

  246. Kim Llantero at 4:16 pm

    Hi. I plan to stay more than 14 days in Taiwan in December. I have an expired Korean visa – issued last 2018. Am i still qualified for the visa free entry (ROC) certificate?

  247. Francis Bea Lopez at 8:36 pm

    Hi, i just want to ask if there is a chance that i will denied in entering taiwan if i stay for 14 days starting from the next day of my arrival (dec 19,2019-jan2,2020). Do you think that i shall rebook my return date for earlier days?

  248. JB & Renée Macatulad at 8:49 am

    Hi Francis Bea, that’s a good question and something I’m not entirely sure of myself. Personally, I always go back a day early. So if I’m allowed 30 days, then I’ll go back on the 29th day just to avoid any potential issues.

  249. Cherryl at 1:03 pm

    Hi. Just to clarify, ano ba ang kaibahan ng “visa free program” at “visa free travel cert”. Sa pagkaintindi ko if plan mo lng stay for less than 14days, you can enter /travel to taiwan anytime as long as (valid ung passport at least 6months, may return ticket at hotel accom) but if ang intensyon ay mag stay ng more than 14days, saka lang mag apply ng visa free travel cert. TAMA BA?

  250. Justin at 1:03 am

    Hi! I’m planning to stay in Taiwan for more than 14 days. I have Schengen VISA that expired last 2017 and currently have US VISA still expiring on 2027. Which VISA application to Taiwan should I apply for? Need help since I’ll be leaving next week! 🙁

  251. JB & Renée Macatulad at 8:44 am

    Hi Cherryl, no that’s incorrect. As stated in the IMPORTANT NOTICE above, the VISA-FREE TRAVEL CERTIFICATE is suspended as of this time. Yan yung binibigay nila dati sa mga holder ng US, UK, Schengen visa etc. But ever since they implemented the the VISA-FREE PROGRAM, Philippine passport holders can now enter Taiwan visa-free for stays of up to 14 days. I don’t know how you can extend beyond 14 days. Hope that clarifies.

  252. JB & Renée Macatulad at 8:46 am

    Hi Justin, that’s a good question and something I’m wondering myself. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to extend stays for Philippine passport holders beyond 14 days. You may want to contact TECO directly for that.

  253. Vanessa at 1:24 pm

    Hi there

    I notice that there are some changes to the requirements to apply for a visa free program in August 2019 in which if I use “election visa issued by Australia or NZ the visa must be valid at the time entering Taiwan ”
    Does that mean if my Australian visa has already expired but if its the paper type that is attached to my passport I’m still eligible to apply for visa free program .

  254. JB & Renée Macatulad at 9:45 am

    Hi Vanessa, not sure what you mean. As far as I know, Philippine passport holders are allowed to enter Taiwan regardless of what other visas you may have. Please contact TECO directly regarding your inquiry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.