How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa for Filipinos

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa for Filipinos

IMPORTANT: Most of the information on this page is no longer valid. TECO has made an official announcement that beginning 1 November 2017, Philippine passport holders will be able to travel to Taiwan visa-free for stays of up to fourteen (14) days, provided certain conditions are met. The visa-free program will be on a 9-month trial period from 1 November 2017 until 31 July 2018.

The only valid information on this page is the segment about the VISA-FREE PROGRAM. Everything else is suspended for the duration of the visa-free trial program. Check out our Taipei travel guide to help you plan your trip to Taiwan.



Philippine passport holders are eligible for visa-free entry for stays of up to fourteen (14) days, provided the following conditions are met. The visa-free program is on trial period from 1 November 2017 till 31 July 2018.

  1. The applicant’s passport is valid for at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant has an onward/return air/ferry ticket and a visa for that destination (if required).
  3. The applicant can provide proof of accommodation (or host/sponsor’s contact information or arrangements of tour, travel, visit, events and meeting etc.) in Taiwan.
  4. A completed arrival card which may be obtained from the airlines or cruise ship company.

Please be advised that applicants may be denied entry to Taiwan if they have a criminal record, have overstayed in Taiwan on a previous trip, or cannot prove sufficient funds to support themselves while in Taiwan. Follow the link for more information on visa-free treatment for Philippine passport holders.



Philippine passport holders may be eligible for the visa-free travel certificate if the following conditions are met:

  1. The applicant’s passport is valid for at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant has an onward/return air/ferry ticket.
  3. The applicant has never been employed as a blue-collar worker in Taiwan.


In addition, one of the following conditions must also be met:

  1. You must possess one of these documents issued by the US, CANADA, the UK, JAPAN, KOREA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, and/or any of the SCHENGEN countries:
    • Valid resident or permanent resident card
    • Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
    • Visa or resident card that has expired less than ten (10) years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan
  2. The applicant possesses a Taiwan visa or resident card issued over the last 10 years and has no immigration irregularities or violations in Taiwan. However, Taiwan visa holders with a remark of “FL” (foreign labor) or “X” (others) and resident cards with the purpose of “Foreign Labor” are not eligible for the travel certificate.

If you meet these requirements, then you can go to their website and fill up the travel authorization certificate form. When done, just print out the certificate and you’re good to go. Applying for the travel certificate is FREE of charge and the whole process takes about 5-10 minutes.

The travel certificate is valid for ninety (90) days and good for multiple entries within those ninety (90) days. You’ll have thirty (30) days of stay starting from the day after your arrival in Taiwan. Be sure to bring the documents listed above along with your travel certificate when entering Taiwan. They won’t let you through without it. You can check out the TECO website for more information regarding the visa-free travel certificate to Taiwan.


If you’re not eligible for visa-free entry, then you can apply for an e-visa online. You don’t have to physically go to TECO anymore. It costs TWD 1,632 to apply for an e-visa and it takes three (3) working days to process. If approved, e-visas are valid for three (3) months from the date of issue and allow you a stay of up to thirty (30) days. This new e-visa policy will be on trial basis for one (1) year. Follow this link to apply for an e-visa to Taiwan. You can check this link as well for frequently asked questions about the Taiwan e-visa.

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)


If you aren’t eligible for visa-free entry or don’t want to apply for an e-visa, then you can apply for a tourist visa through the TECO office.


Here are the basic documents you’ll need to file your application. Please be advised that all documents submitted should be original and with one (1) photocopy.

  1. Valid Philippine passport. Must have at least 6 months remaining validity. Any old passports showing previous travels can be submitted as well.
  2. A completed visa application form. Go to their website to fill out the visa application form and print it out. Once you’ve printed the form and signed the last page, you can submit this together with all other requirements to TECO. More details in STEP 2.

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

  1. Two (2) 1.5″ x 2″ passport photos against a white background taken within the last three (3) months. Sign the backs of both photos and paste one of them on the form. Put the other one in clear plastic and attach it to the form.
  2. PSA-issued birth certificate
  3. PSA-issued marriage certificate. Obviously, this only applies to married applicants. Single applicants can ignore this.
  4. Certificate of Employment
  5. Evidence of enrollment at school/college for minors (under 18) or students
  6. Financial statements (Bank Book or Bank Statements reflecting at least 6 months of transactions)

Applicants over 60 years old who are visiting Taiwan for tourism need not submit documents 6 and 7 above. Also, please note that the requirements for applicants looking to visit relatives in Taiwan are different. You can follow this link for a list of requirements for visas to visit relatives in Taiwan.

If you’ll be traveling on BUSINESS, then you’ll also need to submit the following:

  1. Certificate of business name registration and SEC registration(if company owner)
  2. Certificate of Employment (if employed)
  3. Invitation letter from Taiwanese company/organization in Chinese letterhead clearly outlining purpose of visit and duration of stay
  4. Request letters from applicant’s company


You can now submit your application and documents to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office. Filing of applications can be done from Monday-Friday, 8:45-11:45AM. Their office is located on the 41st floor of Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati. As of 13 May 2017, visa processing fees are as follows:

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

After submitting your documents and paying, you’ll be given a receipt which you (or a representative) will need to present after three (3) working days to claim your passport. If you have it expedited, then you can get it in one (1) working day. Releasing times are from Monday-Friday, 1:45-4:45PM.

According to TECO, the visa’s validity, number of entries, and duration of stay will be determined by the applicant’s purpose of visit.


When will the visa-free program begin?
The visa-free program will begin on 1 November 2017 and will be on a 9-month trial period until 31 July 2018. It will allow you a stay of up to fourteen (14) days.

What’s the difference between the visa-free program and the visa-free travel certificate?
The visa-free program allows ALL Philippine passport holders to enter Taiwan visa-free regardless of previous travel experience. This is different from the visa-free travel certificate which has been in existence for several years now. Only travelers who meet certain requirements are eligible for the visa-free travel certificate.

How much do I need to have in my bank account to be granted an e-visa or stamped tourist visa?
There’s no official amount. People have said at least PHP 50,000 but there’s no confirmation on this. People have mentioned that they’ve been approved with less. Some have been rejected with more. Your application is contingent on many factors so there’s no amount that can guarantee approval. As long as your application doesn’t raise any red flags and you have enough money to support yourself for the duration of your stay, then you should have a good chance of getting approved.

Do I need to have confirmed flight and hotel bookings?
No, you don’t. Confirmed flight and hotel bookings are not required. On the application form, you can just put down the contact details of the hotel you intend to stay at. It doesn’t have to be a finalized booking. You can always change after you’ve been granted a visa.

Is there an interview?
Not necessarily. You’ll only be asked in for an interview if they have questions about your application, but most people aren’t.

Do I have to go to Manila to apply?
Not anymore. With the implementation of the e-visa, you can now apply online. People outside of Manila used to course it through travel agencies but you don’t have to do that anymore.

I have a tourist visa to Korea that expired 3 years ago. Am I eligible for the visa-free travel certificate?
Yes, you are. As stated above, you’re eligible for visa-free entry if your tourist visa or resident card to the US, CANADA, the UK, JAPAN, KOREA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, and/or any of the SCHENGEN countries expired less than ten (10) years prior to your arrival in Taiwan.

I have a tourist visa to Japan that expired 5 years ago. Am I eligible for the visa-free travel certificate?
See above. 🙄

I have a tourist visa to Australia that expired 7 yea…
Ok, that’s enough questions for today. 😡

Taipei Economic & Cultural Office in the Philippines

41F, Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati
Tel: +632 887-6688
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:45AM-4:45PM
Filing: Mon-Fri, 8:45-11:45AM
Releasing: Mon-Fri, 1:45-4:45PM


I’m not an expert on Taiwan tourist visas. Like you, I’m just a traveler. I’ll try to help as much as I can but please understand that my knowledge is finite and limited to my experience only. Unless otherwise noted, all requirements listed above were valid at the time of my application. Please be sure to check the embassy’s WEBSITE for updates. If you need answers to any pressing issues, then it’s best that you call the embassy directly.

CLICK HERE for more on this website’s terms of use.

For travel tips to Taipei, check out our First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Taipei, Taiwan.

 The First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Taipei, Taiwan

JB is one half of Will Fly for Food and its chief itinerary maker.  He’s the one to blame for all the crappy photos and verbal diarrhea on this blog.  Don’t listen to him.

There are 242 comments for this article
  1. Ryan at 12:41 am


    I just need a 2nd thought

    “Resident card or visa that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan.”

    does it means, if i applied Taiwan Visa before (2 years ago), pasok ba dyan sa requirement na yan?

    Thank you

  2. Bone21 at 6:27 am

    Hello I wanted to ask if the VISA free for filipinos are now implemented? For those who doesn’t have VISA from other countries?

  3. JB Macatulad at 1:08 pm

    Hi Ryan, sorry but I don’t understand your question. If you had a visa to any of those countries mentioned, then yes, you’re eligible for the travel certificate.

  4. ethan gabriel are jr at 5:43 am

    I have us visa valid tell 2019..Possible to go Taiwan w/o Taiwan visa….?

  5. ellah at 3:35 am

    hi, regarding the situation miss irish, is she able to apply for the tourist visa in taiwan here in uae? i have same situation, im working here in abu dhabi and wanted to visit taiwan soon…

  6. Pam Javier at 11:43 pm

    Hi, my husband working in taiwan right now, and he want me to visit him this coming Christmas and New Year,, actually, this is my first time to travel abroad if ever,, The month of September will end after two weeks,, Is there a new announcement for the free visa??

  7. Edward at 7:24 am

    Hi JB. I read that the e-visa is on trial for a year starting October 2016. I have a travel come Nov-Dec 2017. Do you have any idea if the e-visa trial has been extended or could I apply now and would still be valid during my travel period to Taiwan? Thank you so much!

  8. Yzel at 2:23 pm

    I’ ve already travelled to taiwan last 2 3 years ago..if I’ ll be visiting taiwan again this december, will I be qualified for a travel certificate? Thankyou.

  9. JB Macatulad at 9:56 pm

    Hi Edward, yes I think the evisa is still being offered. You can click on the link in this post and fill out the form to confirm.

  10. ernest perry at 11:12 pm

    sir JB ask lang po what if po kung pang 2nd time na mag aaply ng tourist visa kasi last feb 18 to march 1 asa taiwan ako tourist po now gusto ko balik ulit this nov ano po requirement ang papasa ko same padin po ba sa dati?/salamat po

  11. JB Macatulad at 11:08 am

    Hi Ernest, that’s a good question but I don’t know. They don’t list Taiwan under their travel certificate requirements. Best to call TECO directly to be sure.

  12. Andrea at 6:43 pm

    Hi! for visa requirements, do i need to submit itinerary plan din ba? Thanks!

  13. Charlon Villamayor at 12:47 pm

    Sir Jb, ask lang po regarding sa appli form. Anu po ung ilalagay sa ID no.? and sa Mothers full name.. name po ba ni mama sa pagkadalaga o ung ngayong gamit nya na pangalan na? Salamat po

  14. JB Macatulad at 2:57 pm

    Hi Charlon, sa ID number I’d put any government-issued ID aside from your passport, like a driver’s license. Sa Mother’s Full Name, hindi nakaspecify but yes, I’d assume maiden name ang hinihingi. You may want to call TECO to be sure.

  15. jojo at 10:21 pm

    good evening, jb,

    do you have a sample of. Affidavit of Support, ? I will be using it for my wife’s visa application.

    Hope you can help me…


  16. Stephanie at 1:44 am


    I was wondering, what if say you have a Canadian visa (tourist or working visa) which has an expiry date less than 10 years BUT you did not used the visa at all. Meaning hindi mo sya inialis ng bansa for some reason. Do you think that still matches their condition for the eligibility for free visa entry?

  17. JB Macatulad at 11:25 am

    Sorry Jojo, but I don’t have one. Best to call TECO directly to confirm if they need it in a specific format.

  18. JB Macatulad at 11:26 am

    Hi Stephanie, that’s a good question. I know some embassies treat used and unused visas differently. Mas may weight yung used. Please contact TECO directly to be sure.

  19. Charmaine Joy Cupon at 6:53 am

    In the latest article regarding the visa free it say visa free to filipino from philippines was approved but why do we still need to apply visa through online before traveling? Sounds confusing. Can u explain. So what it is exactly?

  20. JB Macatulad at 8:27 am

    Hi Charmaine, it’s been approved but it hasn’t been implemented yet. Target for implementation is October but that’s a tentative date. They first said it would be implemented in June 2017, but we know how that went. Unless it’s been officially announced on the TECO WEBSITE, then it’s best to assume that you still need a visa. I’ll add a quick note to this post to let people know.

  21. Angel at 9:48 pm

    Hi sir jb,

    I hope you can answer me now i will be travelling to taiwan this sunday na and ill bring my 2 yr old daughter with me. Need rin ba nya ng visa sa online na lang din ba? Gaya ng kinuha ko e visa? Thanks po sana sumagot kayo kaagad

  22. JB Macatulad at 11:10 am

    Hi Angel, yes your daughter will need a tourist visa as well. The e-visa takes 3 business days to process so you need to apply asap.

  23. Mylene at 7:57 pm

    Hi JB!

    Thanks for this post.

    I now have an approved e-visa for Taiwan. I won’t be asked for any other documents like bank statements, ITR, or COE, will I? I only need this visa right?

    I’m actually anxious since this will be my first travel abroad. Thank you very much.

  24. JB Macatulad at 7:35 am

    Hi Mylene, nope you’re all set. Just your e-visa, passport, and onward/return ticket and you’re good. I always bring a printout of my hotel booking just in case but I’ve never been asked for it. Have fun in Taiwan!

  25. Belle tigas at 12:42 pm

    Hi Sir jb thanks sa info. So this visa free program we dont need to do anything nba? No need to fill up any from their website? Diretso na ng airport lang sobrang thanks. First time kasi

  26. Hakata at 4:16 pm

    Hi sir JB

    Thanks for this

    But I still confuse of that additional requirement,
    Because it’s my first to abroad, so I can’t accord with those conditional,
    Is that additional requirement must be necessary?
    The R.O.C. (Taiwan) Travel Authorization Certificate must have?

  27. hazel at 10:47 pm

    Im having UAE resident Visa now,and i already worked for 1 yr and 5 months in m, company,
    but i worked in taiwan for 3 yrs last 2016, im planning to travel on december because one my co-worker in taiwan
    will going to marry on December, am I entitled to travel to taiwan?

  28. Edz at 5:43 pm


    I’m Edz from Iloilo, Philippines. I know that Taiwan is now visa-free for Filipino tourists who are intending to stay up to 14 days.

    I will be travelling to Taiwan starting November 24 until November 28 early morning. I just wanted to ask if I need to get a Taiwan visa because besides for tourism purposes, I will also be taking the International English Language Speaking Test (IELTS) on Nov 25, one day only.

    Thank you. Hoping for your response.

  29. Edz at 5:48 pm

    I mean “International English language testing system” (ielts)

  30. JB Macatulad at 7:18 pm

    Hi Hakata, are you a Philippine passport holder? If you are, then you can now travel to Taiwan visa-free provided you meet the requirements listed above. No need for the Travel Authorization Certificate. Let me know if you need anything clarified.

  31. JB Macatulad at 7:38 pm

    Hi Hazel, it sounds like you are. As long as you meet the conditions listed above, then you should be eligible for visa-free travel.

  32. Cindy at 2:38 pm

    Hi. Can I confirm some info?

    1. As far as I know both Authorization Certificate and E-Visa are no longer available. So if we intend to stay in Taiwan for more than 14 days, we need to apply for a tourist visa physically in TECO. Is this correct?
    2. Can I apply my friend’s visa on her behalf? And can she receive the visa that I applied on my behalf?

    Thank you, this website helped me a lot before when I applied for my solo trip.

  33. JB Macatulad at 7:38 am

    Hi Cindy, that’s a good question which I’m wondering myself but I’m afraid I don’t know. Their website doesn’t seem to provide any information about staying longer than 14 days for tourism purposes. Best to contact the embassy directly. I believe you can apply on your friend’s behalf but you may want to confirm this with them as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *