How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa for Filipinos

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa for Filipinos

Since I first wrote this post, three significant changes have been implemented to the Taiwan visa process. One, TECO has made it easier to get visa-free entry. In the past, you needed a valid tourist visa to the US, Canada, the UK, Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and/or any of the Schengen countries to qualify for visa-free entry. Now, even expired visas (less than 10 years) to those countries are accepted. Two, applicants who aren’t eligible for visa-free entry don’t have to apply at TECO anymore. They have the option of applying online for an e-visa which is super convenient. And three, and this is the biggest and best change of them all, TECO has announced a visa exemption trial program for all Philippine passport holders. This means that all Filipinos will be able to enter Taiwan visa-free, just like they would Hong Kong! Yipeee!

When they first made the announcement, they said it would be implemented beginning 1 June 2017. But an article on ABS-CBN reported that the visa exemption trial program could be pushed back a month or two. Turns out it was true. TECO announced on 16 May 2017 that the visa exemption program will begin in September 2017. Dr. Gary Song-Huann Lin, Representative of the ROC (Taiwan) to the Philippines, explained that the postponement is simply to smoothen out operations, create more effective immigration procedures, and to safeguard the security of all passengers. He assured that the direction towards the visa exemption program remains unchanged so we’ll just have to wait until September 2017 to visit Taiwan visa-free. You can follow this link to read TECO’s official announcement.

Until the visa exemption program begins, the information on this page is still relevant. Filipinos will still need to apply for a tourist visa to enter Taiwan. The first version of this post amassed over 1,000 comments, most of which were questions about the visa application process, so I’ve decided to add an FAQs section at the bottom of this post. I hope it answers any questions you may have. If not, then feel free to post your question in the comments. Thanks and good luck! 🙂

VISA-FREE ENTRY

BASIC REQUIREMENTS

Philippine passport holders may be eligible for visa-free entry if the following conditions are met:

1. The applicant’s passport is valid for at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant has an onward/return air/ferry ticket.
  3. The applicant has never been employed as a blue-collar worker in Taiwan.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

In addition, one of the following conditions must also be met:

1. You must possess one of these documents issued by the US, CANADA, the UK, JAPAN, KOREA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, and/or any of the SCHENGEN countries:
    • Valid resident or permanent resident card
    • Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
    • Visa or resident card that has expired less than ten (10) years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan
  2. The applicant possesses a Taiwan visa or resident card issued over the last 10 years and has no immigration irregularities or violations in Taiwan. However, Taiwan visa holders with a remark of “FL” (foreign labor) or “X” (others) and resident cards with the purpose of “Foreign Labor” are not eligible for the travel certificate.

If you meet these requirements, then you can go to their website and fill up the travel authorization certificate form. When done, just print out the certificate and you’re good to go. Applying for the travel certificate is FREE of charge and the whole process takes about 5-10 minutes.

The travel certificate is valid for ninety (90) days and good for multiple entries within those ninety (90) days. You’ll have thirty (30) days of stay starting from the day after your arrival in Taiwan. Be sure to bring the documents listed above along with your travel certificate when entering Taiwan. They won’t let you through without it. You can check out the TECO website for more information regarding visa-free entry to Taiwan.

E-VISA

If you’re not eligible for visa-free entry, then you can apply for an e-visa online. You don’t have to physically go to TECO anymore. It costs TWD 1,632 to apply for an e-visa and it takes three (3) working days to process. If approved, e-visas are valid for three (3) months from the date of issue and allow you a stay of up to thirty (30) days. This new e-visa policy will be on trial basis for one (1) year. Follow this link to apply for an e-visa to Taiwan. You can check this link as well for frequently asked questions about the Taiwan e-visa.

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

TOURIST VISA

If you aren’t eligible for visa-free entry or don’t want to apply for an e-visa, then you can apply for a tourist visa through the TECO office.

Step 1: SUBMIT VISA REQUIREMENTS

Here are the basic documents you’ll need to file your application. Please be advised that all documents submitted should be original and with one (1) photocopy.

1. Valid Philippine passport. Must have at least 6 months remaining validity. Any old passports showing previous travels can be submitted as well.
  2. A completed visa application form. Go to their website to fill out the visa application form and print it out. Once you’ve printed the form and signed the last page, you can submit this together with all other requirements to TECO. More details in STEP 2.

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

1. Two (2) 1.5″ x 2″ passport photos against a white background taken within the last three (3) months. Sign the backs of both photos and paste one of them on the form. Put the other one in clear plastic and attach it to the form.
  2. PSA-issued birth certificate
  3. PSA-issued marriage certificate. Obviously, this only applies to married applicants. Single applicants can ignore this.
  4. Certificate of Employment
  5. Evidence of enrollment at school/college for minors (under 18) or students
  6. Financial statements (Bank Book or Bank Statements reflecting at least 6 months of transactions)

Applicants over 60 years old who are visiting Taiwan for tourism need not submit documents 6 and 7 above. Also, please note that the requirements for applicants looking to visit relatives in Taiwan are different. You can follow this link for a list of requirements for visas to visit relatives in Taiwan.

If you’ll be traveling on BUSINESS, then you’ll also need to submit the following:

1. Certificate of business name registration and SEC registration(if company owner)
  2. Certificate of Employment (if employed)
  3. Invitation letter from Taiwanese company/organization in Chinese letterhead clearly outlining purpose of visit and duration of stay
  4. Request letters from applicant’s company

Step 2: SUBMIT, PAY, & PRAY

You can now submit your application and documents to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office. Filing of applications can be done from Monday-Friday, 8:45-11:45AM. Their office is located on the 41st floor of Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati. As of 13 May 2017, visa processing fees are as follows:

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

After submitting your documents and paying, you’ll be given a receipt which you (or a representative) will need to present after three (3) working days to claim your passport. If you have it expedited, then you can get it in one (1) working day. Releasing times are from Monday-Friday, 1:45-4:45PM.

According to TECO, the visa’s validity, number of entries, and duration of stay will be determined by the applicant’s purpose of visit.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)

How much do I need to have in my bank account to be granted a visa?
There’s no official amount. People have said at least PHP 50,000 but there’s no confirmation on this. People have mentioned that they’ve been approved with less. Some have been rejected with more. Your application is contingent on many factors so there’s no amount that can guarantee approval. As long as your application doesn’t raise any red flags and you have enough money to support yourself for the duration of your stay, then you should have a good chance of getting approved.

Do I need to have confirmed flight and hotel bookings?
No, you don’t. Confirmed flight and hotel bookings are not required. On the application form, you can just put down the contact details of the hotel you intend to stay at. It doesn’t have to be a finalized booking. You can always change after you’ve been granted a visa.

Is there an interview?
Not necessarily. You’ll only be asked in for an interview if they have questions about your application, but most people aren’t.

Do I have to go to Manila to apply?
Not anymore. With the implementation of the e-visa, you can now apply online. People outside of Manila used to course it through travel agencies but you don’t have to do that anymore.

I have a tourist visa to Korea that expired 3 years ago. Am I eligible for visa-free entry?
Yes, you are. As stated above, you’re eligible for visa-free entry if your tourist visa or resident card to the US, CANADA, the UK, JAPAN, KOREA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, and/or any of the SCHENGEN countries expired less than ten (10) years prior to your arrival in Taiwan.

I have a tourist visa to Japan that expired 5 years ago. Am I eligible for visa-free entry?
See above. 🙄

I have a tourist visa to Australia that expired 7 yea…
Ok, that’s enough questions for today. 😡

Taipei Economic & Cultural Office in the Philippines

41F, Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati
Tel: +632 887-6688
Website: roc-taiwan.org
Email: phl@mofa.gov.tw
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:45AM-4:45PM
Filing: Mon-Fri, 8:45-11:45AM
Releasing: Mon-Fri, 1:45-4:45PM

Disclaimer

I’m not an expert on Taiwan tourist visas. Like you, I’m just a traveler. I’ll try to help as much as I can but please understand that my knowledge is finite and limited to my experience only. Unless otherwise noted, all requirements listed above were valid at the time of my application. Please be sure to check the embassy’s WEBSITE for updates. If you need answers to any pressing issues, then it’s best that you call the embassy directly.

CLICK HERE for more on this website’s terms of use.

For travel tips to Taipei, check out our First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Taipei, Taiwan.

The First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Taipei, Taiwan

JB Macatulad

JB Macatulad

JB is one half of Will Fly for Food and its chief itinerary maker.  He's the one to blame for all the crappy photos and verbal diarrhea on this blog.  Don't listen to him.
JB Macatulad

There are 189 comments for this article
  1. Jhon at 4:07 pm

hello

Is it possible to issue a visa online without visiting Manila?

and

Is it possible to apply in Hong Kong or Macau?

2. JB Macatulad at 7:54 pm

Hi Roana, I’m not sure. Personally, I would still fill it up again to be safe. You never know what might happen and you don’t want to be stuck with any issues once you get there.

3. JB Macatulad at 7:56 pm

Yes Jhon, that should be fine. My sister filled up the online application from China and it was ok.

4. Mikee at 9:54 am

Hi, I dont have any visa from any other country, This is my first time to travel abroad. and i decided to go Taiwan. Is there any other way to get Taiwan Visa? pls help. Big thanks!

5. Ryan at 10:48 am

I have been reading through the article and i only saw something that said something about having a “Tourist visa” for visa-free entry to

taiwan. How about if you have a permanent resident card for the US? Does that also qualify for a visa free entry to taiwan? Thank you in

advance

6. JB Macatulad at 9:25 am

Hi Mikee, there’s always a chance. As long as you can provide all the requirements and don’t raise any red flags, then you should have a good chance of getting approved regardless of your previous travel experience. Good luck!

7. Mylene Bacani at 4:24 pm

Hi JB,

Is it okay if I travel with my husband but he is a self employed, the reason of our travel is its our wedding anniversary, May question is this, he doesn’t have any Certificate of Employment and Bank Account but we
    have enough money to support ourselves during the whole duration of our stay. Do you think he can get a visa? Please advise. Thanks

8. JB Macatulad at 8:52 pm

Hi Mylene, the TECO website doesn’t get into specifics for self-employed applicants but I think your husband will need to submit his ITR and/or a Certificate of Business Name Registration and SEC Registration. Best to call TECO to be sure. But can you apply for an eVisa instead of a stamped visa? I think it may be easier.

9. Liza at 5:51 pm

Hi JB, Do we need to apply for a visa if our schedule travel is on September?

10. JB Macatulad at 8:51 am

Hi Liza, yes you do. September is just the tentative date for visa-free entry so until they’ve made an official announcement that they have indeed implemented the program, then Philippine passport holders will still need to get a tourist visa.

11. Maricar at 1:10 pm

In case i forgot to fill out one of the mandatory details, in particular the former or other nationality, should i submit another visa application form?

12. Maricar at 1:17 pm

I have filled up and submitted my application form, but i noticed one of the mandatory items was not filled up when i saved it as draft and filled it up again. Should I submit another application form?

7.Q: What should the applicant do if he/she finds something wrong with the content after the form has already been submitted online and an application number has been obtained?

A: If the applicant has already clicked the button “Submit”, the filled-out data cannot be edited anymore, and the application form has to be refilled out again. If the application form has not been submitted, the applicant can key in “Temporary Number” to edit the data.

13. Rhob at 7:38 pm

Hi I just want to know since I am a OFW here in Dubai and planning to settle for good this coming December 2017 and planning to apply for the tourist visa in Taiwan is it possible for me to get approved? since I just came from abroad and doesn’t have job so far to justify my financial capability (though some savings to spend)?

14. JB Macatulad at 6:41 pm

Hi Rhob, it may best for you to apply from there. Have you tried calling your local TECO to see what the requirements are?

15. Lou Vinia Javines at 9:20 pm

I have a couple of questions:
    1. I’ve read in other accounts that an applicant would need a credit card for the e-visa. I am yet to acquire one, would it be acceptable if I ride on a friend’s or relative’s? And can two people ride on the same credit card?
    2. Would they accept the ITR in the stead of a bank book or bank statement? If not, and I don’t have any, do I have an alternative document I can provide?

16. Annie Lee at 8:24 am

Hi,

Good day. I did try to fill out the evisa form and was not able to proceed because it was asking about details about my contact in taiwan (family, friend, company or school)

Is it ok if I will leave it blank? Or should I put n/a?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

17. JB Macatulad at 11:28 am

Hi Lou, regarding the credit card, yes you can. You can refer to the e-visa FAQs for confirmation. Sorry, not sure about the ITR. Best to call TECO directly for that one.

18. Kim at 12:27 pm

Hi! I have an expired Japan student visa. Is it a valid type of visa to get free Taiwan visa or Travel Authorization Certificate? Or only tourist visa qualifies for that? Thank you!

19. tala. Socorro@gmail.com at 6:32 pm

Hi, I just want to asked something regarding of my visa before, anyway, i had tourism visa before for taiwan, which is expired already together with my old passport. But, few years ago i change my last name so i would have middle name in my name. Because before i don’t have any middle, which i use my mother surename. But, now i have middle name because i applied my father last name which is granted to the court and to the National Static Office (NSO) my main question is if i got a passport and in my new passport was change my last name to De Leon then in my old visa i used my mother last name, do you think is it possible to enter taiwan for free visa even if i change my last name only.? Or should i need to apply new visa or just bring the old passport together the finality of court decision papers so there is proof to show just in case.? Which one do you think it will work and what is the requirements to be submitted if i happened to have tourism visa before which is just year 2012. And I receive my court finality last 2015. I hope to get any feedback or suggestion to my inquiries. Thank you in advance.

20. Maricar Puyo at 12:48 am

Thank you sir! My daughter and I got our visa today. Thank you very much for your blog. It is really that helpful.

21. Dannica at 1:51 pm

HI! Any idea what should I do? I will be traveling to Taiwan this coming October with my uncle, his wife and his son I will be joining them since he paid for my ticket and he will be the one who will pay for my expenses. I’m a fresh graduate though. I don’t have enough in Bank since I just got employed 3 months ago. I am worried what visa I will apply.

22. JB Macatulad at 5:37 pm

Hi Kim, I think you need to have a tourist visa or resident card to qualify for the travel certificate. Best to call TECO to confirm.

23. JB Macatulad at 5:39 pm

Hi Dannica, I think you’ll need to apply ad a dependent. The TECO website doesn’t specify what the requirements for students/dependents are so please call TECO to inquire.

24. Kristine at 9:08 pm

Hi there! Quick question. Is it possible to apply for visa free entry for Taiwan if I only have a “used” Korean visa(single entry. used it in May)? Thanks!

25. JB Macatulad at 3:23 pm

Hi Jennifer, they’re basically the same thing. One is a traditional visa stamp on your passport while the other is an electronic visa. You only need one or the other.

26. Jennifer Daza at 6:07 pm

Hi JB, thanks for the help. Another question. How can i pay? I can’t see payment link pm the BOCA website.

27. JB Macatulad at 2:53 pm

Hi Jennifer, I haven’t applied for the E-visa but I believe you should be taken to payment options after filling out the form. According to their FAQs, only credit card payments are accepted.

28. Jenny at 11:27 am

Hi! I was issued a Schengen Visa in 2014, however, my passport was stolen last year. but I have secured a scanned copy of my Schengen visa. Am I still eligible to get the Travel Authorization Certificate?

29. MARTY at 9:23 pm

Is it possible that a Filipina working permanently in Hong kong as a domestic helper (OFW) can apply for a visa to travel to Taiwan for a vacation?

30. JB Macatulad at 8:15 am

Hi Marty, I don’t see why not. As long as she can provide all the required documents then she should have a good chance of getting approved. It may be best to apply from Hong Kong though as her requirements may be different.