How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa for Filipinos (Updated April 2017)

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa for Filipinos (Updated April 2017)

Great news! According to this article on ABS-CBN news, Filipinos will no longer need visas to enter Taiwan for stays of up to thirty (30) days beginning this June 2017. This means that ALL Philippine passport holders, regardless of status, will be able to visit Taiwan visa-free like Hong Kong! Woohoo! 😀

TECO is expected to make the formal announcement after Holy Week so I’ll be sure to update this post should there be any developments you need to know about. But if you plan on traveling to Taiwan before 1 June 2017, then you’ll still need to apply for a tourist visa so the information on this post applies to you.

Visa-Free Entry

Philippine passport holders may be eligible for visa-free entry if the following conditions are met:

  1. The applicant’s passport is valid for at least six months starting from the date of arrival in Taiwan.
  2. The applicant has an onward/return air/ferry ticket.
  3. The applicant has never been employed as a blue-collar worker in Taiwan.

In addition, you must possess one of these documents issued by the US, CANADA, UK, JAPAN, KOREA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, and/or any of the SCHENGEN countries:

  1. Valid resident or permanent resident card
  2. Valid entry visa (may be electronic visa)
  3. Visa or resident card that has expired less than 10 years prior to the date of arrival in Taiwan

If you meet these requirements, then you can go to their website and fill up the authorization certificate form, print out the certificate, and you’re good to go. The travel certificate will be valid for ninety (90) days and is good for multiple entries within ninety (90) days. You’ll have thirty (30) days of stay which will commence from the next day upon arrival in Taiwan. Easy right? Be sure to bring the documents listed above along with your travel certificate when entering Taiwan. They won’t let you through without it. Check out their website for more information regarding visa-free entry to Taiwan.


Good news! As of 7 October 2016, Philippine passport holders looking to visit Taiwan may now apply for a visa online. No need to physically go to TECO to apply! Woohoo! E-visas are valid for three (3) months from the date of issue and allow you a stay of up to thirty (30) days. This new e-visa policy will be on trial basis for one (1) year. Follow the link to apply for a Taiwan e-visa. You’ll find another link there for answers to FAQs about the eVisa as well.

Tourist Visa

If you aren’t eligible for visa-free entry or don’t want to apply for an e-visa, then you can apply for a tourist visa through the TECO office.


Here are the basic documents you’ll need to file your application.

  1. Valid Philippine passport. Must have at least 6 months remaining validity. Any old passports can be submitted as well.
  2. A completed visa application form. Go to their WEBSITE to fill out the form and print it out. Once you’ve printed the form and signed the last page, please be sure to submit this together with all other requirements within fifteen (15) days. Otherwise, you’ll need to fill out the form again.
  3. Two (2) 1.5″ x 2″ passport photos against a white background taken within the last three (3) months. Sign the backs of both photos and paste one of them on the form. Put the other in clear plastic and attach to the form.
  4. NSO-provided birth certificate
  5. NSO-provided marriage certificate. Obviously, this only applies to married applicants. Single applicants can ignore this.
  6. Certificate of Employment
  7. Financial statements (Bank Book or Bank Statements)

Applicants over 60 years old who are visiting Taiwan for tourism need not submit documents 6 and 7 above.

If you’ll be traveling on BUSINESS, then you’ll also need to submit the following:

  1. Certificate of business name registration and SEC registration(if company owner)
  2. Certificate of Employment (if employed)
  3. Invitation letter from Taiwanese company/organization in Chinese letterhead clearly outlining purpose of visit and duration of stay
  4. Request letters from applicant’s company

Please be advised that all documents submitted should be original and with one (1) photocopy. If you can, you’re welcome to submit other supporting documents as well. Basically anything that can shore up your application like old passports with multiple stamps, property titles, additional bank accounts, etc can be submitted.


You can now submit your application and documents to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office. Filing of applications can be done from Monday-Friday, 8:45-11:45AM. Their office is located on the 41st floor of Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati. As of 27 August 2016, visa processing fees are as follows:

How to Apply for a Taiwan Tourist Visa (for Filipinos)

After submitting your documents and paying, you’ll be given a receipt which you (or a representative) will need to present after three (3) working days to claim your passport. If you have it expedited, then you can get it in one (1) working day. Releasing times are from Monday-Friday, 1:45-4:45PM.

Unike visa-free entry, Taiwan tourist visas are good for single-entry only and allow a maximum stay of fourteen (14) days. They’re valid for ninety (90) days from the date of issue so the earliest you can apply is three (3) months before your trip.

Good luck!

Taipei Economic & Cultural Office in the Philippines

41F, Tower 1, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati
Tel: +632 887-6688
Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:45AM-4:45PM
Filing: Mon-Fri, 8:45-11:45AM
Releasing: Mon-Fri, 1:45-4:45PM


I’m not an expert on Taiwan tourist visas. Like you, I’m just a traveler. I’ll try to help as much as I can but please understand that my knowledge is finite and limited to my experience only. Unless otherwise noted, all requirements listed above were valid at the time of my application. Please be sure to check the embassy’s WEBSITE for updates. If you need answers to any pressing issues, then it’s best that you call the embassy directly.

CLICK HERE for more on this website’s terms of use.

For travel tips to Taipei, check out our First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Taipei, Taiwan.

 The First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Taipei, Taiwan

JB Macatulad

JB Macatulad

JB is one half of Will Fly for Food and its chief itinerary maker.  He's the one to blame for all the crappy photos and verbal diarrhea on this blog.  Don't listen to him.
JB Macatulad

There are 1,057 comments for this article
  1. JB Macatulad at 3:48 pm

    Hi John, no isn’t necessary. You can just put down the contact details of the hotel you intend to stay at. You can still change after you get your visa.

  2. leo at 2:55 am

    i just want to clarify if we can have a free tourist visa for filipino by june?? i just heard on the news! thanks

  3. Myrtle at 12:22 pm

    Help! I need info, I’m planning to visit Taiwan because of no visa implemented in this June 2017to July 2018.
    I never been traveling before overseas and I don’t have any visas. I’m planning to travel solo.
    Here’s my question:
    When traveling in Taiwan this year is just a passport to bring? Or there any other paper to show on Taiwan immigration ?
    How long will to stay in Taiwan?
    I hope you could help me
    Thank you……

  4. JB Macatulad at 3:06 pm

    Hi Myrtle, you should bring your passport and return ticket. For travel tips to Taiwan, you can check out our TRAVEL GUIDE. Hope that helps and enjoy!

  5. Sky at 8:34 pm

    How much is the e visa and how long will it take to process does it need to have a travel period and details of the ticket

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *