Two weekends, three buffets. Whatever weight I lost with my hot dog with cabbage and onion relish diet is back with a vengeance.
In an attempt to (again) shed all this excess baggage, Ren is putting us on a salad for lunch diet, beginning with this one that was inspired by the Jean Leon Original Chopped Salad made famous by the iconic La Scala restaurant in Beverly Hills. It was one of only three salads that she would order during her decade long stay in the US, the other two being the Santa Fe chicken salad from Cheesecake Factory and the Chinese chicken pasta salad from California Chicken Cafe.
If you’re a guy and start getting excited about the prospect of having a salad for lunch, then you know you’re getting up there in mileage. No matter though. Whatever it takes to drive away these unwanted pounds and put sexy back on track is just fine with me. 😛
My version with Italian salami
For calamansi dressing
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsps calamansi juice
- 3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- Honey, to taste
- Sea salt and white pepper, to taste
For chopped salad
- Iceberg lettuce, rinsed and finely chopped
- Romaine lettuce, rinsed and finely chopped
- Diced italian salami or tuna chunks
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garbanzo beans, rinsed and well-drained
- Chopped tomato
- Black olives, sliced
- To make dressing, combine ingredients in jar, close lid tightly and shake until well blended. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Toss with vinaigrette and season with sea salt to taste.
Ren’s version with tuna chunks
DID YOU KNOW?
That the Jean Leon Original Chopped Salad was featured in season 5 of The Food Network’s “The Best Thing I ever Ate?” It’s named after the restaurant’s founder, Jean Leon, who first opened the La Scala restaurant in Beverly Hills in 1956.
Latest posts by JB Macatulad (see all)
- The First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Manila, Philippines (from a Local) - October 15, 2017
- Poblacion Food Crawl in Makati, Philippines - October 8, 2017
- Boodle Fight Manila.Kainan Na! - October 7, 2017