For the past several months now, Ren and I have been having hot dogs with this cabbage and onion relish for lunch everyday. Not that I’m complaining. On the contrary, I love it and am not even close to getting tired of it.
The reason, I believe, is because of this relish, which is sort of like a faux sauerkraut. It adds some welcome acidity and crunch to the hot dog. Without it, I think we would have grown tired of hot dogs long ago.
Plus it’s healthy too. Would you believe that in the months that we’ve been eating this, I got down to my desired weight of 164 lbs, without changing anything else in my diet nor doing any exercise? It’s true.
I had ballooned to 170 lbs but was too lazy to do any real exercise. I had come to accept my belly as a new member of the family and stopped looking at the scale for weeks, believing my weight to be permanently pegged to that number. Imagine my surprise one day when I hopped on the scale and found my weight down to 164 lbs! The only difference in my diet? This cabbage and onion relish.
Who knew that losing weight would be as easy as eating a hot dog for lunch everyday? 😆
- 300 g cabbage, shredded very finely
- 1 small red onion, very finely sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Roughly chopped parsley or coriander leaves, to serve
- Place shredded cabbage and red onion in mixing bowl. Stir through all ingredients with fresh herbs.
- Leave to macerate for at least one hour and up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, drain off excess liquid and mix through fresh herbs. Relish can also be drained, refrigerated and covered until needed.
The inafmous “diet dog.” 😆
In all seriousness though, nothing beats exercise especially when you’re getting up there in years, so I promise to get off my butt more often soon as I find the motivation. But until then, diet dogs baby. 😆
DID YOU KNOW?
That even though I joke about it, there really was a fad diet a few years ago called the Hot Dog Diet?
Promising weight loss in 3 days, the Hot Dog Diet was a strict eating plan that allowed you a few hot dogs over the course of the 3 day-period in addition to ice cream, peanut butter and eggs. These foods are believed to increase metabolism to help you burn calories more quickly and thus lose weight.
Latest posts by JB Macatulad (see all)
- The First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Manila, Philippines (from a Local) - October 15, 2017
- Poblacion Food Crawl in Makati, Philippines - October 8, 2017
- Boodle Fight Manila.Kainan Na! - October 7, 2017