Happy New Year everyone!
Many of you are probably still reeling from last night’s festivities (I know we are), so I’m posting this delicious, easy-to-make clay pot rice dish to help you get over that hangover. Meaty and substantial, it’s a comforting dish that harkens back to Ren’s childhood. Her mother would soak Chinese sausage in a vinegar-sugar-shallot mixture and serve it to them for breakfast.
Many of us only know Chinese sausage as a component of fried rice, so it’s nice to see it as the star of a dish. Enjoy and best wishes for 2015!
- 3 boneless chicken thighs
- 3 dried mushrooms, medium-sized
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp chinese rice wine
- 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Stems of coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lapchang (Chinese sausage), 1/4 inch discs
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Coriander, for garnish
- In small bowl, soak mushrooms in warm water until soft (about 30 mins). Rinse and pat dry. Remove stems, thinly slice caps, then set aside.
- Mix chicken, sugar, dark and light soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, coriander stems, scallions, ginger, cornstarch, and white pepper in medium bowl. Allow to marinate in refrigerator for at least 15 mins.
- In wok, add vegetable oil, swirling to coat. Add garlic and stir fry until fragrant. Add marinated chicken and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add sausage and mushroom, then stir fry for 30 seconds. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Place rice and chicken stock in clay pot (or heavy metal pot) and bring to a boil, covered, over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins.
- Spread chicken stir fry over rice and continue to steam, covered over low heat, until chicken is cooked through (about 15 mins).
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Latest posts by JB Macatulad (see all)
- The First-Timer’s Travel Guide to Nagasaki, Japan - June 21, 2017
- Gunkanjima: Nagasaki’s Battleship Island and a Bond Villain’s Hideout in Skyfall - June 18, 2017
- Glover Garden in Nagasaki, Japan is Alive with the Sound of Music - June 17, 2017