What do you do when you come across an unusual cut of meat? You buy it.
Chancing upon this rare cut of lamb sukiyaki at MyOwn meat shop, what you’re looking at here is essentially a gateway cut of meat. Accustomed to thicker, less versatile cuts like chops or shoulders, Ren became giddy with excitement when she thought about all the possibilities that this thinner cut would open up.
Hopping online for inspiration, she chanced upon a recipe for shawarma lamb with couscous that she thought might be perfect for this. It was. Thin like shaved steak with the gaminess of lamb and the light, playful texture of couscous, it was absolutely delicious.
Hooked and eager to buy more, I don’t think it’ll be too long before you start seeing recipes for lamb cheesesteak and lambsilog on this blog. Like I said, a gateway cut of meat. 😉
*Original recipe from myrecipes.com
- 1 cup good quality chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons, divided (or a combination of lime and calamansi is good too!)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb steak, thinly sliced (or if available, lamb sukiyaki cut)
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Bring broth to a boil in medium saucepan. Add couscous, cover tightly, then remove from heat. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff, then add carrot, cilantro, 2 Tbsps oil, and zest and juice of 1 lemon.
- In remaining 2 Tbsps oil, cook oil in large frying pan over high heat until edges are charred (10-12 mins). Add lamb, garlic, cayenne, cumin, salt, and pepper, then cook while stirring until lamb is cooked through and browned (around 10 more minutes).
- Divide couscous among 4 plates and top with lamb mixture. Mix yogurt with remaining lemon zest and juice and serve with lamb. NOTE: In addition to couscous, you can serve it with a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta cheese.
Latest posts by JB Macatulad (see all)
- What’s in Our Backpack? - December 6, 2016
- GIVEAWAY: Travel Journal from Alunsina Handbound Books - November 29, 2016
- City Garden Grand Hotel: Where to Stay in Manila, the Philippines - November 25, 2016