Ren has been making this on occasion and I have to admit that I wasn’t too thrilled with the idea at first. I’m not partial to dessert to begin with, so I couldn’t get excited about a vegetable being baked into something sweet. Give it to me fried a la Carl’s Jr! 🙂
One bite though and I was a changed man. Zucchini, when grated and mixed into the batter, adds moisture and a soft texture to what is essentially a spice loaf. You can throw in some figs, pecans and other interesting add-ons as well to create your own unique blend of flavors and textures.
This was made with black mission figs.
This one was made with pecans.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 zucchini (10 ounces), coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Add ons: 1/2 cup chopped nuts and/or 1/2 cup chopped figs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in add ons.
- In another bowl, combine zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, and mix until just combined (do not overmix).
- Pour into one standard loaf or into 2 mini loaf pans. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, for standard pans about 50-55 minutes, for mini loaf pans about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaf out, right side up, and cool completely.
DID YOU KNOW?
That despite zucchini being treated as a vegetable in a culinary context – ie it is usually cooked and presented as a savory dish or accompaniment – that botanically it is actually an immature fruit, being the swollen ovary of the female zucchini flower?
Latest posts by JB Macatulad (see all)
- The Ultimate Vietnamese Food Guide: What to Eat in Vietnam (and Where to Try Them) - August 15, 2017
- Ha Long Bay Cruise: A Must-Do in Northern Vietnam - August 7, 2017
- Where to Stay in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam: M2C+ Cafe - August 4, 2017