With all this stormy weather we’ve been experiencing, Ren and I have been feeling a little under the weather lately, so we decided to have a light dinner of roasted squash soup and caviar pie. Hearty and healthy, this comforting soup is a rich source of vitamin A, potassium, and fiber, and a delicious way of warding off those dismal, rainy season blues.
INGREDIENTS (serves two)
- 1 small squash (750 grams or 3/4 kilo)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/4 cup mirin or sweet sake
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 3 shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Quarter and seed pumpkin. Rub flesh with olive oil and bake on baking sheet for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in small stockpot over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in butter until translucent. Pour in mirin and allow to reduce to about a third. Meanwhile, scrape flesh from pumpkin and add to onions. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add sage.
- Pour chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Purée soup with an immersion blender or in food processor until smooth.
- Melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter in small pan over medium heat, and cook shallots until golden and tender, for about 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup to serving bowls. Place dollop of sour cream on top and garnish with shallots. Serve with mozarella or gruyere croutons.
DID YOU KNOW?
That in the Philippines, kalabasa and pumpkin are both considered “winter squashes?”
We have dozens of varieties of winter squash, including kalabasa, pumpkin, kabocha, and butternut squash, to name a few. They differ in fiber content, stringyness, sweetness, water content, intensity of flavor, etc., but are somewhat similar and may sometimes be substituted for each other depending on the intended use.
Latest posts by JB Macatulad (see all)
- The Food-Lover’s Travel Guide to Hong Kong - October 22, 2016
- A Cable Car, a Giant Buddha, and a Streetful of Seafood on Lantau Island, Hong Kong - October 12, 2016
- The Day-Tripper’s Travel Guide to Macau - October 9, 2016